Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever wonder just how long >

Ever wonder just how long

Ever wonder just how long

Old 03-14-2013, 06:17 PM

Default Ever wonder just how long

Tonight I stopped by the fabric store to buy some backing material for two lapquilts. I was shocked at how much I spent, even though the fabric was on sale. I didn't dare look around at anything else, I did wonder driving home, how long can I afford to spend this money then give it away? Can I afford when I retire? I think about those things.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:36 PM

I think when we give, it always comes back to us in some way. I have stocked up a lot of fabric so I should have plenty to make and give away for a long while. The family knows that I always want money or gift cards to spend on fabric, and they reap the benefits with quilts.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 PM

And unfortunately it seems as though lots of non quilters dont understand just HOW MUCH fabric costs. And how much time it takes to make a quilt. So sad.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 PM

I thought about this exact thing yesterday. Scary.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:36 AM

I guess I just think where there's a will, there's a way. Maybe part of my retirement will be spent in a fabric shop working part-time to pay for my habits.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:57 AM

But think how much a gym workout, membership and outfits and no stress free work or end product to give with love.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:53 AM

Yes! I too think about this. I have a small stash and try to use it, but never fail I don't have enough to make a pattern. I haven't jumped into making a scrappy. That may be what I need to do to use what I have.

Giving and not understanding, yes. However, those that I give to it doesn't bother me.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:05 AM

I save 99% of my fabric when I'm cutting for a quilt. I have clear plastic bins about the size of 2 shoe boxes and I keep 1"squares,2"squares, and odd size scraps in those. That way when I need a small piece I can go to my scrap bins and use from there. My daughter doesn't see the sense in this,she says it's fabric ocd and I can't bear to give up any part of my fabric. But it makes it so much easier if you need small pieces and you have some that you have already cut along the way.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:57 AM

Once you retire figure out how much of your budget you can afford to spend on fabrics and then get creative - shop coupon stores like Hancock and Joann - shop thrift stores for both fabric and clothing that can be used as quilting fabric - perhaps even find a part time job to fund your quilting!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

I started thinking of retirement from the first day on my first job. LOL. I quit working as soon as DH could support our household with his salary. My plans are to use my SS to be my quilting budget so I can still be generous with my quilts.