Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Exact Eights ruler

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I'm ready to cut a zillion 3 3/8" squares and know the challenge ahead. There's a product ... but it's expensive and I would love to have input from somebody who has one. Is it worth it?
    http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...hths+ruler.do#

If that is a June Tailor ruler - they are great!

MTS
    Banned
    So my question to you would be.... what are you making, and is there an easier way to make it?

Are you by any chance shooting for 2.5" finished HST's?

Because there are many other methods available where you don't need the 1/8" measurement, or ever have to deal with a bias edge, and you can still get perfect 3" unfinished HST's to use in your quilt block.

Just saying. ;) ;) ;) ;)

If you're not, then just ignore everything past this point. ;-)

Here's a quick and easy (with pictures) instruction guide on making the HST's:
    http://quilting.about.com/od/quickpi...uaretria_2.htm
    There are many similar guides out there.
    The only thing I would change is the size of the starting squares.

If the instructions call for 3 3/8" squares (2.5" finished plus 7/8" seam allowance), I would start with 3.75" squares instead.
    Make the HST the same way, AND then trim them down to the EXACT size I need - in your case 3" unfinished.

Yes, it's one extra step, but the extra little bit of fabric in the starting square will allow for any little woobles in the cutting or sewing of the HST's.

I agree with MTS--cut them a little larger. I just did a wall hanging that was all HSTs and even with cutting them larger and careful sewing, I had a few that were "off". Good luck!

I have the one for quarter inch so it's a wider strip of plastic in between the slots. I don't know if the narrower one would wiggle a little or not.

If you are really needing to cut a lot of the 3-3/8 squares, it may be worth it to get the ruler...I do love my ruler with slits for other cutting.

That is expensive. Sounds like you would be helping to finance Nancys new car.

I've seen them in our quilt store, but have not used them.

Ditto ... If it's the HSTs you are doing, I'd use slightly larger pieces, them trim for precision size!

Blog Entries
    i just bought a 1/2 inch slotted ruler, first use this morning. needed to cut 1 1/4 (3/4 sashing plus 1/2 SA)

Cut four at 2 1/2 (placement 0, 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10), then moved the ruler & cut them in half. fortunately, there is a 1/4 mark on the outside edge.

1/8" might be handy.

If you do what the others said about cutting 3 3/4, then you could get the one I have. JoAnn's I think $29.99, but got at 1/2 off.