Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Expectations From a Quilting Class???? >

Expectations From a Quilting Class????

Expectations From a Quilting Class????

Old 06-29-2014, 12:07 PM

Lots of excellent points-totally agree with these listed from above.
*I would expect is for the instructor to BE ORGANIZED, and/or have a helper that can take care of that for you.

*The instructor should be ready to go at the stated time of the class and all attendees should be in place. I hate it when a class is scheduled for 9 am, the instructor putzes around until 9:20 and then someone says "oh we have to wait for Mary ha ha she's always late". Start the class within 5-10 min of the stated starting time. Don't cater to late-comers. I have so many obligations that taking a class is a luxury

*I expect the instructor to be organized and knowledgeable about their subject, have nice samples, be fun and friendly, and come around to each person if only to say how nice their project is coming along.

*The instructor should insist that students have basic knowledge of their machine: please don't waste my time teaching one student how to insert the needle or thread the machine.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Susann View Post

*The instructor should insist that students have basic knowledge of their machine: please don't waste my time teaching one student how to insert the needle or thread the machine.

I don't know what the answer to this is for the student that just is not "up to speed" for a particular class - but it really annoys me when this happens.

Perhaps take the person aside and offer an individualized class (for payment) to bring him/her up to speed?
Old 06-30-2014, 05:59 AM

My pet peeve is that sometimes the instructor will help 1 student to the detriment of everyone else. Usually this student is inexperienced and demands the help, but it is so unfair to the rest of the class. I feel the instructors need to know how to diplomatically handle this situation. It has happened more than once. Also, be on time and do not wait for late students.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:10 AM

It would be nice if the instructor is open to different ways and preferences of the students. i.e. if someone wants to press seams open or to the side.

quilting police--- So demonstrate the way you do but be open if the student has a preferred way.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:11 PM

One of my pet peeve is how some so called teachers do so little actual instruction. Basically you bought a pattern and supplies and everyone sews the quilt or project. Very little teaching goes on. I've been in this situation several times. We basically helped each other while the teacher pushed her patterns, rulers and so on.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:18 AM

My recommendation is to bring small samples of work (in a variety of fabric prints to appeal to a broad audience) previously completed using various feet.

I cannot always retain all of the information presented, so handouts are always a bonus.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
I think I would like this class (altho it's a little far). I hope you enjoy teaching it.

My number one expectation for a class is promptness! The instructor should be ready to go at the stated time of the class and all attendees should be in place. I hate it when a class is scheduled for 9 am, the instructor putzes around until 9:20 and then someone says "oh we have to wait for Mary ha ha she's always late". Start the class within 5-10 min of the stated starting time. Don't cater to late-comers. I have so many obligations that taking a class is a luxury and if it starts/runs late, I usually have to leave. Sorry to sound like an old grouch but this has happened at 2 or 3 classes I attended so I've quilt signing up. Good luck, have fun!
What jan RN said. I paid as much as the late person did. They CHOSE to be late (unless there's an accident or some such) and class should start without them. In which case, they should call, so the shop knows what happened. I recently took a class and they waited for a person who is habitually late (according to the comments). It has turned me off taking any more classes from this store. And my supplies alone were $125-150 all bought at that place. Then the class was listed at $35 but they charged $40 even though I pointed out the price difference. They've lost my business over 20 minutes and $5. I cannot abide lateness. It shows a serious disregard for others. Also, charge the listed price. And no, I'm not going to make a big scene about it, as I vote with my feet. It all goes to good sense. And be organized like Sewnoma said.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

I have taken several classes and the one thing that turns me off is when there is an overly needy participant (needs someone to do it for her, etc) and the instructor gets sucked into dedicating the majority of the class to that person when others need attention. I am usually self sufficient but when I get stumped and need a quick "how to" I don't want to sit through most of the class waiting. I hope I don't sound mean as that is not my intent.

Last edited by solstice3; 07-01-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:13 AM

I like "twin needles". You do have to make sure you have the right foot. It looks nice when you want to quilt a handbag.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:33 AM

Thanks for all the helping suggestions, everyone. I am considering giving a quilting class this fall, and think I have come up with all the things I need to be aware of before I go into it. Mine will be very basic, but I realize all this stuff is necessary to make a successful effort of something that I love to share--my love of quilting and sewing.

Oh, and BTW, how do I put this posting to a permanent thing on my computer so I can refer back to it when I need to?