Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Expensive Lesson Learned >

Expensive Lesson Learned

Expensive Lesson Learned

Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 AM

BellaBoo...what is the name of your app...I would like to have that. TIA!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

I know just how you feel. I bought a vintage machine at an antique store, not noticing that the power cord was missing. I haven't even tried to find one... and I don't even remember whether it has the foot controller. $$ down the drain, but a lesson learned.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:58 AM

Post a photo over at the Vintage sewing machine section and I'll bet someone has the cord you need!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 PM

wow! If it were me I probably would have done the same thing for $20. (if it makes you feel better)

How true God is the Best Quilt!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
I wanted a dependable, lightweight machine for carting to the homes of quilting friends. $20 for a Husqvarna Viking 310 (without foot control or power cord) appeared to fit the bill. Surely these parts were easily available and cheap. NOT!

I've yet to stitch a lick and now have over $90 invested in a machine I could have purchased for significantly less on EBay, complete (including feet and manual which have yet to be bought)! Of course, the foot controller is on back order (the cord for it costs extra) and is priced over three times what I paid for this uber basic machine. Foolish me!

Here's what I learned. Loving to quilt means it is worth lugging a nearly 40 lb. vintage machine to the house of a friend. Yes, those muscles deserve a good workout. Never assume basic parts for a modern machine are available or inexpensive. And... When that little voice inside your head tells you to not purchase something, LISTEN TO IT!!

I"ve paid $50 for an old machine that I picked up for next to nothing. BUT it wore out on my watch.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by craftycancer View Post
wow! If it were me I probably would have done the same thing for $20. (if it makes you feel better)
It does. The upside (as I look at it from my chair) is the free arm. None of my vintage portables have this capability. Not that I need it for quilting.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes finding missing parts for these machines is much more difficult than finding the machines. We have had a lot of luck dealing with machine repair places when needing parts. Good luck and maybe you will have a great machine when you are finished.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 AM

If they don't work they are just a doorstop! If you like the machine it is worth the cost for years of great sewing and less backaches.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 AM

I found this out the hard way too....saw a fairly new kenmore blue machine in resale shop, no cord, foot control but had the feet...$30 not a bad deal..told the lady to save it for me...called sears, $50 for cord and foot control. LOL, could have bought brand new machine on ebay for $100 free shipping...didn't get it LOL
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 AM

Default Clipping coupons

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
$90 is a good bargain for a nice sewing machine. I hope you did a search for onlines parts. The repair shop wanted $110 for a foot pedal and cord for my machine. I found it online for $34.99 at a wholesale sewing parts store. The repairman said he had to order it from the company that's why it cost more.

I have an app on my phone that scans the bar code of an item and then lists stores in the area that have the same item and the price. If the store won't match the lowest price I go buy it at the other store. This has saved me more then the cost of the phone and many times the phone bill each month. I don't have to clip coupons for JoAnns, Hobby Lobby or other stores, they are on the phone to be scanned when I need them.
I love the apps on my phone, but still clip and print online. All of the JoAnn's around here let us use all of the coupons and I love that. I don't live close (about 70 miles to closest) but I take advantage when I can.