Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Experience with bamboo batting

In the thread about spray basting vs pinning, mention was made of using bamboo batting, that it sticks to fabric like it was sprayed. Anyone have an experience with this?

Blog Entries
    Warm and Natural sticks to my fabric well too, my blocks hang unassisted on it on my design wall :wink: But not well enough for quilting without basting. I think you still need to baste, even with bamboo :D:D:D

I have used bamboo batting a few times, and it does seem to 'stick' to the fabric more than cotton, but you do still need to baste, unless it's a very small piece you will be quilting. I did try without basting, and it was a mess!!
    The bamboo drapes nicely, and according to DH, it is warmer than our woollen blankets.

I love the bamboo batting. It is warm and smooth and easy to work with. It does stick to the fabric better than other batting but I still baste. I don't want any disasters while quilting after working so hard on the quilt top.

I love love love it. I have made a couple of small doll quilts with scraps of it left over from my sons quilt. I am slowly still quilting it. have been since before thanksgiving. hehe It sticks really really bad. You want to make sure that you have the backing down flat and have someone help you lay the bamboo on the top flatten it out and then add the to and flatten that out. you will need to baste it in some way to just keep it from shifting about at all. unless you are doing something less than 30" or so. good luck. I would also look around for your bamboo batting. just make sure you are getting what you paid for. there are lots of bamboo that they call bamboo but in truth it is only 50-90% bamboo. There are a few places that do 100% and the only other thing on there is the scrim that helps keep it together.

I've only used bamboo once and it was a bamboo/cotton blend batting. I didn't notice that it stuck any better, but I've always thought my cotton batting grabbed pretty well (I use mostly Quilter's Dream). I will say it was softer than plain cotton, but now in the quilt I don't notice any difference.

Plain 100% cotton seems to be what I like the best. I live in the south, gotta support my farmers, ya know? :D

Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    I love love love it. I have made a couple of small doll quilts with scraps of it left over from my sons quilt. I am slowly still quilting it. have been since before thanksgiving. hehe It sticks really really bad. You want to make sure that you have the backing down flat and have someone help you lay the bamboo on the top flatten it out and then add the to and flatten that out. you will need to baste it in some way to just keep it from shifting about at all. unless you are doing something less than 30" or so. good luck. I would also look around for your bamboo batting. just make sure you are getting what you paid for. there are lots of bamboo that they call bamboo but in truth it is only 50-90% bamboo. There are a few places that do 100% and the only other thing on there is the scrim that helps keep it together.
    What brand batting did you use?

I received some bamboo towels, and after serval washings they are not so soft and look sort of matted, I wonder if the batting will do the same.
    Sue

http://winlinetextiles.danemcoweb.com/shop/
    this is the site that I ordered from. I met them at a quilt show here in the KC area.