Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Experiences switching between machines >

Experiences switching between machines

Experiences switching between machines

Old 08-29-2016, 04:46 AM

Default Experiences switching between machines

I have a computerized machine, but I recently used a more basic one, and I found it very difficult. The worst problem was that I kept forgetting to put the foot down! I remember when I first got my computerized machine, I sort of missed some of the familiar things I no longer had to do or did differently, but I quickly got used to them, and now I’m not sure I can do without them. It’s like getting a bigger TV and looking at the perfectly good 19” TVs we had for decades and thinking that they are way too small.

I’ve been thinking about getting a second / travel machine, and I’m trying to figure out how hard it would be to go back and forth between my current machine and one that operates a lot differently. I’m sure I could adjust if I used the second machine a lot, but I don’t anticipate that. I would want to use it for travel and when my main machine is in the shop, but probably not a lot otherwise.

I’d like to hear people’s experiences with switching between machines, especially two that are really different. Easy? Hard? Hard at first then easy? Please share!
Old 08-29-2016, 05:01 AM

It's like driving rental cars - just takes a little time to readjust. I use a computerized machine that will do everything but make dinner, and an old mechanical Bernina along with a few others in the middle. I fumble around for a few minutes, but then it's just not a problem. Been teaching a bunch of kids last few months with 3 different machine types, so toggle back and forth between them constantly.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

I just added another Bernina of the same series to my collection so they can share everything like feet. I tried a thread cutter and didn't like it so mine don't have all the bells and whistles.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:14 AM

I switch all the time between an old Singer 411 (from the sixties), a mechanical Juki TL2010Q and a computerized Juki HZL-DX7. The first few minutes after changing are a bit awkward, but you quickly get back into the swing of the machine you're working on.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:28 AM

I have no problem with it - might make a false start or two, then the body switches over and I'm back on "automatic"

I switch between a manual and automatic transmission vehicles - It's not bad when I go for the clutch in the automatic, but isn't as forgiving when I break with the manual and forget I need to push the clutch in.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:31 AM

I switch between my Juki and my Janome all the time. Other than trying to cut with the foot pedal, I quickly adjust. The hardest part is when sewing a scant quarter, each machine sews differently. I finally purchased the little purple guides to set each machine the same. Makes a huge difference and I don't have to try to complete a project on the same machine each time.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:47 AM

The hardest for me was using a machine without the knee lift or the needle down. But I got used to it after a while.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:14 AM

I think the hardest part of using multiple machines is the reverse. My Juki has a BIG up/down handle sticking out on the front for reverse. My Janome uses a button. And my Elna uses a left/right lever. I do fine until I have to use reverse. 15-20 minutes into a session on these machines and I am fine. I never have a problem switching to a serger. I guess my weak little mind somehow processes the serger as a completely different activity.

I wouldn't worry about getting a travel machine. Chances are you will quickly learn to love the one you're with!
Old 08-29-2016, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I wanted a portable machine with the features I used the most that wasn't expensive because it would be toted a lot. I found the Brother 420 PC, not the PRW 420. It has needle up, auto threader, knee lift, thread cutter, start/stop button, speed control, pressure dial, feed dogs lower, needle positioner, and is lightweight. I paid $250 for it new in box. The (PRW model is great, has all the features plus about a hundred more stitch styles) Honestly I have knee lift on three of my machines and never use it. I guess I need to to see what I'm missing.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
The hardest for me was using a machine without the knee lift or the needle down. But I got used to it after a while.
this is the same for me... i don't take my good machine to classes.