Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Extension table too slippery? >

Extension table too slippery?

Extension table too slippery?

Old 03-10-2015, 12:09 PM

Default Extension table too slippery?

I just finished an afternoon of walking foot quilting, using machingers, and I am grinding my teeth. I have the Juki 2010, which I dearly love, and the quilt is well-supported, but I am really working hard to get it to move. Suddenly, it occurred to me that the surface could be so slick that I can't get any traction on it. Of course, I googled it and got nowhere, being as how everyone wants their surface more smooth. So, I tried an experiment and put 2 folded paper towels on either side of the quilt underneath, and things were somewhat easier. (until I sewed in one of the towels, of course). So, now I am convinced that I am on the right track, but I have no idea what to do. Somehow, roughing it up with sandpaper seems a bit much.

If anyone has had this problem or knows what point I am missing, I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 03-10-2015, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

Is some of the quilt dragging? I have quilt clips that are round but open (like a horseshoe). May be you need more support so it doesn't drag.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Is some of the quilt dragging? I have quilt clips that are round but open (like a horseshoe). May be you need more support so it doesn't drag.
I rechecked the part in my lap and puddled it up more. That seemed to help. Thanks. But I'm still working really hard at it. This is my first extension table experience, too, as my other machine is recessed.

What kind of clip are you referring to? I originally started with bicycle clips and ended up loosely squashing it inside the harp instead. Maybe I should be clipping it together?

Thanks,
Charlotte
Old 03-10-2015, 01:37 PM

Somewhere the other day I saw a video that a lady (speed demon) was quilting with a wheeled plant stand under the excess quilt. She puddled the quilt on top of the plant stand and it moved freely while quilting. She was really quick. When she needed more quilt she re-puddled the quilt. Her plant stand was clear plastic with four wheels on it. Looked interesting but I don't have a clean stand. Mine are all outside (darn)
Old 03-10-2015, 01:49 PM

When you say extension table, do you mean an extension from the bed of your sewing machine that is sitting on a surface or is your machine recessed in a table and the extension is an addition to the table? Sorry, I'm not getting a clear picture of your set up.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Your walking foot should pull the quilt through if it is supported. HOWEVER the walking Goog will not "walk" if the little arm is not over the needle bar. On my Bernina, that arm goes on the needle bar by the screw that holds the needle.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:19 PM

What Tartan says. With a walking foot you shouldn't have to move the quilt, but it does need to be supported so the edges hanging over the side of the extension table don't drag it down. All you do is guide the quilt. Are your feed dogs up? I ask this because I was guilty of using my walking foot right after free motion quilting and forgot to raise the feed dogs. Couldn't figure out why it wasn't working.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
When you say extension table, do you mean an extension from the bed of your sewing machine that is sitting on a surface or is your machine recessed in a table and the extension is an addition to the table? Sorry, I'm not getting a clear picture of your set up.
I have an extended bed with adjustable feet that fits around the Juki. It's a nice, sturdy one, compared to some. I am used to the Viking recessed flush to the table, though, so this is a new thing for me.

Hugs,
Charlotte

[ATTACH=CONFIG]513173[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 03-10-2015, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
What Tartan says. With a walking foot you shouldn't have to move the quilt, but it does need to be supported so the edges hanging over the side of the extension table don't drag it down. All you do is guide the quilt. Are your feed dogs up
Feed dogs are up, and the little fork is over the bar. But I'm now getting suspicious about the edges hanging over the extension table. Tessagin was thinking of dragging, too. I'm not sure how to fix that, other than puddling it up better in front. I'll try that tomorrow. My neck and shoulders are in a knot right now.

thanks,
Charlotte
Old 03-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

I suspect the problem is the edges of the extension table. You would likely benefit from making a styrofoam surround so that your quilt is lying on a much larger flat surface. My dh made me one and it helped a lot. There are directions on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14g...5C338341F28BF9

Also, the fact that your neck and shoulders are in a knot indicate to me that the surface you are working on is too high. I found that placing my sewing machine (along with its styrofoam surround) on my cutting table and quilting while standing up took all the stress off my shoulders and neck.