Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
F&P Quilt Kits >

F&P Quilt Kits

F&P Quilt Kits

Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 AM

This may not be disturbing to others, BUT this has become very discouraging to me. How do you feel?

I got an advertisment from Fons & Porter about their warehouse sale. Since I've not ordered anything from them for a few years, I thought I'd take a look.

They have some really good prices on their quilt kits. BUT the kit does not include the instructions! You have to purchase the back issue magazine to get the information.

Long time ago, I fell for that. I ordered the kit, gritted my teeth at the cheap trick and ordered the magazine. Received confirmation of the order, received email stating order was shipped. Got the fabric......no magazine. Invoice shows backorder on magazine. HUH? After several emails and a couple of phone calls I get told the magazine is no longer available. I could return the fabric, at my cost PLUS a "restocking fee". Well, that didn't set to well since it would be THEIR FAULT I was returning the fabric. I never did receive a credit for the magazine.

In my never to be humble opinion, when you buy a quilt KIT it should include the instructions. Am I wrong?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 AM

I've never purchased a quilt kit (got too many 'on hold' to bother with that) but I would certainly think the instructions would be included! Why sell the kit if you don't want folks to complete the quilt?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 AM

You are right. It isn't a kit without the instructions.

That is just a bag of different-sized fabric pieces they are selling.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 AM

I ordered a kit from them and the fabric they sent was horrible. Nothing like the picture that was shown. I called them, as I live in Iowa too, and told them to send me a postage paid envelope or box because they were getting it back. They sent the envelope and they got it back and I was refunded my money.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 AM

This is just wrong- a kit implies everything needed to make the quilt top (well, not thread I guess), and instructions are a necessary part of that. It seems to me that F&P is always nickel and diming, their approach has really turned me off.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:28 AM

In my opinion this is indeed a cheap trick and deserves a stern letter of complaint. I would also take them off my
"order from" list. This would truly just tick me off!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the others- and I would be majorly TICKED OFF!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:35 AM

That just doesn't seem right - its like buying a car and finding out the wheels and tires are extra. I had looked at their site but too expensive - and now no pattern - that just isn't good business.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Cyn

A kit should have everything but needles, thread, and a machine in my opinion!!!! Even special rulers that may be needed but that is just my opinion.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:40 AM

I sort of get the feeling that F&P just got too big for their own good - just seems like they became "big business" and in it more for the money - lost their original focus. This is just my opinion, of course.