Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric bowl help >

fabric bowl help

fabric bowl help

Old 11-10-2013, 08:30 AM

Default fabric bowl help

I made one, then had an idea I buy candles from ac moore to me they are better then yankee candles and cheaper and smell as nice if not better then the yankee candles, the candle fits perfectly in the bowl but the bowl is too short how can I make the bowl taller? to at least cover the base just below the opening heres a picture I would like to make some for friends and family in different fabrics as gifts I think it be nicer in a fabric bowl rather then wrap in paper hope you all get the idea what I am trying to say thanks
Attached Thumbnails dsc00603.jpg  
Old 11-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

A bigger square ... and then a larger corner tuck will do what you want.

Take a piece of fabric and pin it in place to determine the size that is going to work for you ... before you start cutting and stitching.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

You could leave the corners up instead of sewing them down. If you make the square bigger, you could mark off the size of the base you want and just sew more fabric in at the folds?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:55 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I don't know how to help you but wanted to say that I like your idea!!
Old 11-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Get a piece of newspaper. Cut a larger square than the one you used in your sample. Put the candle on the newspaper & fold the corners out instead of in. Repeat with paper until you get the size square and the correct placement of the corner seams. Make sure that you make the paper version a bit roomier because when you fold the corners IN in the real version the quilted fabric is going to take up a bit of room When you cut your fabric, remember to add seam allowance to your newspaper pattern. Also, because you are going for a tall box, the 4 ears will only fold down a few inches from the top.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:36 PM

I am not sure how big your square was to begin with, however, make a larger square (perhaps 15" square). Decide if you want a 3" inset from the corner. I usually draw a line once I have measured my inset so measure how long that line will be and see if it comes as high as you want it. You can also play with how much you want to fold the top corners over. Some people leave them standing straight up.

I like Paperprincess's suggestion of making a newspaper pattern.