Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fabric buying advice/help :)

fabric buying advice/help :)

i know you guys hate to give advice about this topic!

i want to make this quilt for a dear friend who recently decided to begin a family:

Name:  over-the-pond.gif
Views: 405
Size:  86.7 KB

how does one go about acquiring complimentary/contrasting fabrics in fat quarter size economically and without too much driving etc?

i figure fat quarters are the way to go, but maybe i am wrong. i think this quilt will be stunning all in batiks...

advice?

cheers!

aileen

here's a bigger version that is really fantastic! way to go rhonda harvey! amazing!

http://www.canadianquilter.com/photo-gallery/rosettes.php?page=2&year=2011#

Power Poster
    Batiks would be great and I think you would be safe picking up some in green and blue for the main colours. You might also have some luck if you can find fabric that is gradated. If you can find the fabric that starts out dark blue on one edge and gradually changes to lighter blues, you may be able to use sections along the fabric to cover a lot of your pieces.

what about websites like balibatik.com? their fabric seems really reasonably priced. the whole quilt takes less than 5 meters total, so i really need lots of different colours in small amounts.

this will be my first paper piecing quilt though, so i should account for a learning curve.

i was looking today at charm packs and fat quarter bundles and i'm just not math savvy enough to understand if that's a rather spendy way to gather up the variety i need for this quilt.

thoughts?

aileen

Check out Connecting Threads. They have charms, fat quarters and layer cakes at enormous savings. Also, they will cut as small as a 1/4 linear yard too. Nice selection of batiks, solids, prints and what they refer to as "mirage" which has a dimension to i t.

Blog Entries
    Thousands of bolts has a nice selection of fat quarters:
    http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/index.cfm?category=24
    Not sure where you are from, (colours, meters... ;-) but I know they ship internationally.
    Note that the price quoted for yardage at balibatik is for a HALF yard.
    Last edited by PaperPrincess; 08-16-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    some Walmar ts are starting to carry fat quarters including batiks for as little as 99 cents-I would start there and watch too for when Joanns has their fat quarters on sale. Don't expect to get away with too cheaply because there looks like a lot of colors in that quilt. Paper piecing looks fabulous but can cause a lot of waste too. Good luck Its a great quilt and will make an awesome gift

I would go with connecting threads for their quality and selection; free shipping for over $50 too. The pattern should list quantities needed. I always overbuy a bit.

I second this.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
    Check out Connecting Threads. They have charms, fat quarters and layer cakes at enormous savings. Also, they will cut as small as a 1/4 linear yard too. Nice selection of batiks, solids, prints and what they refer to as "mirage" which has a dimension to i t.
    Anna Quilts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast