Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fabric In the Caribbean

I just got back from my cruise on Saturday. Eurodam is a beautiful ship. We went to Grand Turk, Puerto Rico, St Thomas & Half Moon Cay.

However, was disappointed that I couldn't find any fabric by the yard. Asked the Shopping Coorindator, she didn't know of any stores.

The closest I came was a store called "Mr Tablecoth" They had beautiful linen -with a wide variety of elegantly embroidered, cut out, laced items.

There was probably some type of fabric store in Puerto Rico, but going in to shop with my husband - there was no way I was going to ne able to find it.
    Oh well, there is always the next cruise.

Blog Entries
    How frustrating. If you go again, perhaps you can do some online research first.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I know. My mom and sis got back a few weeks ago and went to 8 portocalls and no fabric stores on their route. And that was all I asked for, no gold or gifts or clothes, just fabric!!!!! Maybe take a quilting cruise next time and I'm sure they know where the fabric stores are. So sorry you didn't find any. Maybe next time. But I am glad you are back and hope you had plenty of rest. Better warn DKAbasketlady so she can google ahead before her cruise and find some. LOL. Welcome home.

we saw one while in San Juan... but was off the tourist beaten path..... didn't purchase anything.

Blog Entries
    Soooo sad :-( You would have thought that you could find some gorgeous fabric in the caribbean. They are know for their flair of color.

I know how you feel. Last month we took a cruise to the Panama Canal and made 4 stops along the way. Before I left, I memorized how to ask for fabric in Spanish....and was ready to buy fabric for myself and as a thank you to the woman next door who took in our mail. No one had any. Everyone told me that it is sold in the big cities and not in the local shops. We had an amazing trip...but came home without any fabric! :x

I have never been sucessful at finding fabric stores in the carribean. I did locate one in PR but very limited and pricey.
    Love Mr. Tablecloth... its a favorite of mine.

Blog Entries
    Thats too bad you didn't find any shops.

June, there WAS quilt shop in St. Thomas or at least it was there last spring when we went on our cruise. We went on a sight-seeing excursion and went thru town on our way back. After our excursion, my DH & I walked back to it. I looked around, but didn't buy any fabric. They had the same lines of fabrics that we have in the states, but they wanted $12-15/yd. at that time(Timeless Treasures, Kaufman, RJR, Northcott,& others) and I couldn't see paying that much for fabric. The shop was straight ahead from the docks about 3 blocks up and to the right about another 3 blocks on the right side. Sorry you missed it!