Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric choices-what would you choose?

Blog Entries

Fabric choices-what would you choose?

HI All My Fabulous Fabric Friends,
    I need to make an item for an after-holiday Secret Santa gift. The person receiving it is 30 yrs old, female, rather kitschy taste, does crafty things, sews but not quilting. Loves fish, so I pulled out my fish fabric. One is very asian, with a large design. I thought she might like that better as the other is more kiddie fabric.
    I considered a rug mug, solid piece with the koi centered on it. To get the whole fish it will need to be about 10 inches wide. OR a potholder. I think the 2nd fabric would work better pieced I think.
    So ladies and gents, HELP!!!!! Thanks everyone, you all always have such great ideas and inspiration.
    Ellen
    Name:  fabric 001.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  1.61 MBName:  fabric 002.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  1.65 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    The asian one is beautiful and not one a sewist might have in her stash, but I would hate to see it cut down into a mug rug. Could you do a hot pad for dishes on the table? The fun fish would be fine for mug rugs, pot holders, whatever. No matter which you choose, I'm sure it will be loved.

what about the 10-minute table runner? Once I had the fabric picked out (for me, the hardest part!), it was only about ten minutes to make. I made one for each of the support staff at work and they were hits.

Blog Entries
    I think the table pad for hot dishes, like a fabric trivet, from the Asian is a great idea, would be a shame to cut that fabric too small. You're not too far from me in the summer--we are in Asheville. When we first moved, I had trouble with pronouncing Leicester, because we moved from a town that had a Lester Park and a Leicester St, and they were not pronounced identically.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Power Poster
    Beautiful fabrics! Do what appeals to you. If you are leaning towards the Asian large fish one but think it's too big for a mug rug, maybe a table topper, placemat or kitchen table runner would be nice. You could however use the fish on the length 10 X 6, that doesn't sound too big? Or you could do a mug rug in the fish and a couple of pot holders in the other fish print and have her choose. OR
    Make her a pin cushion/thread catcher out of the smaller fish fabric, if she sews she would probably like one. There are some nice ones on posts on QB and they are simple to make.

You are right the smaller fish do look juvenile. The idea for the 10 min table runner ,with the koi, sounds lovely.
    Here's the link,
    10 minute table runner
    What about a microwave bowl?
    Here's the link,
    Microwave Fabric Bowls
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I have seen quite a few "candle" mats in Scandinavian publications. They are like table runners, but smaller in size and square or often a thinner rectangle that sits in the middle of the table under a centerpiece. Would be about the right shape and size to capture one of the Asian Koi and then really zip it up with a small border. Anything that uses the larger scale Asian fabric - it is just lovely!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I love the first picture with the Koi fish. Beautiful....Thanks for the links Dublb.....
    "Keep Smiling, Keep shining..knowing you can always count on me....for sure.
    That what friends are for...

All the fabric is beautiful, so go for it. Thanks for sharing. Post your finished project, please. Would love to see it.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Blog Entries
    Thanks folks for your input. I cut down the koi to as small as comfortable without chopping up the fish. It is too big for a mug rug unless you are the Jolly Green Giant. SO I will do a hot pad. Also, in the tut on the bowl warmer, it suggested quilting only one side, fabric and batting. I was concerned that it would either be too bulky with insulbrite and too hard to quilt through. Great idea! And I think potholders of the flower portion of the fabric.
    I will post pics when I am done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast