Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric.com - Make It Stop! >

Fabric.com - Make It Stop!

Fabric.com - Make It Stop!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:49 AM

Default Fabric.com - Make It Stop!

Waiting for me in my in-box this morning was an email from fabric.com advertising hundreds of fabrics for $4.95 a yard. I need more fabric like I need a hole in the head. $120 later (includes shipping to Canada), I bought 18.5 yards. Which for Canada, works out to $6.20 a yard and that's an excellent price. I justified it by deciding that I needed some colourful pink quilt backs for some baby girl quilts that I am making. I added some backing for baby boys, backing for a kit that I have coming in the mail, and a black and white stripe that I want to use for binding some baby quilts.

I've never subjected myself to a fabric morotorium, but I see that many people adhere to the "only buy more fabric if I need it for a specific project" rule. Since I know where all these are going, it's allowed, right? Because the armoir where I keep my stash is jammed and I have no place to store this new yardage that's on its way...I just want someone to tell me it's OK.

Last edited by Canada Kate; 03-05-2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-05-2013, 07:54 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

You bought more fabric?? SHAME ON YOU!!

For even asking us if it's okay...... That's like asking a fish if it's okay to bite that worm, of course it is, LOL! Ridiculous!!

Jan in VA, companion guilty party
Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 AM

It is OK. You can buy anything that makes you happy. Have fun.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 AM

I concur that you are doing the right thing at buying more fabric! I justify it because it's my thing ... I don't smoke, drink excessively, participate in wild parties, buy lots of shoes, etc. Besides the fabric was on sale and will be more expensive tomorrow ... right? !!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 AM

Kate: If your looking for approval this is the place. Most of us can identify. I saw that ad from Fabric.com and quickly deleted it. I have a walk in closet that is full of fabric. If I live to be three hundred years old I won't make a dent. If you only have one piece of furniture full of fabric you clearly need more.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 AM

yep, they got me too. I bought 30 yards ;-/

Last edited by DebraK; 03-05-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 AM

You have a purpose for it - so it is a valid purchase. Of course that hasn't stopped me in the past.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 AM

Wow Mary Jo...that just hit me so true. I don't go much out of the house....hate shopping (except for fabric ) and don't party or....hmmmm gosh i don't do much besides quilting...lol
Yes my dear go treat yourself to whatever your heart desires. I know i have one life to live and i try to give and help others as much as possible and as much as i love buying fabric so i am happy...:-)
Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
I concur that you are doing the right thing at buying more fabric! I justify it because it's my thing ... I don't smoke, drink excessively, participate in wild parties, buy lots of shoes, etc. Besides the fabric was on sale and will be more expensive tomorrow ... right? !!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I got the same email am going to really take a look at all the fabric!!!! I do not need to buy fabric but you never can tell I just might. Of course it is OK!!!! That is what I do QUILT!!! Congrats on your purchase!!!! Enjoy!!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:00 AM

I've been trying not to buy more fabric but...... I've been looking for a fabric to finish a quilt that would go with one I started that I didn't buy enough of the background and need to get something that will, at least, go with. Searching on line for something this morning I didn't find anything that I thought would have the right effect. However, I did find 3 other fabrics that inspired me. Since I am trying to keep my quilting confined to one room and have been trying to lower my stash to keep within that space. However, I'm seriously considering them anyway. So.... the debate begins with my conscience. By the way, I just ordered 30 yards of batting at a good price. I have 4 queen size tops finished needing to be quilted. I also have 6 baby quilts to do for grand nieces and nephews.