Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Cutters

Fabric Cutters

I'm considering buying a fabric cutter. I wondered if you would mind sharing with me whether or not you use yours, how well you like it or dislike it and if it's really worth the money. Would you buy it again ? Which brand do you recomend or not? My husband is willing to spring for one of these but I don't want to waste his money. Thanks for your help.

One of the best tools I have ever purchased is my Accuquilt Go! I use it all the time especially for cutting strips. Then you can run those strips back thru to subcut into squares.....it's amazing and saves a ton of time. I'm just not an accurate cutter and with the accuquilt, I get accurate cuts every time!! I found mine on Amazon for $206 with free shipping. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!
    Deb
    Handle all stressful situations like a dog..... if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

It all depends on what you like to do. Do you have any movement issues-like arthritis? Are you making a lot of quilts?

I sew with a group and we make a lot of quilts. One member splurged and bought the Go and then later the Studio. I absolutely love the studio, but weighs quite a bit and needs a permanent home. And the dies are pretty pricey. The Go is nice, but if you have any type of mobility problems it can be troublesome. I keep harping on that issue because last year I had a shoulder strain that took forever to heal and using the Go was really painful.

I keep thinking I want one, but when I look at the cost I change my mind. But I also have a friend who lets me use hers and I pay her with dies and cutting mats when I find them on sale.

I day dream about buying this set: http://www.accuquilt.com/go-shop/sta...arter-set.html
    I keep a list of things I'd buy if I win the lottery. This will come in second after my Sharper Image massage chair

Blog Entries
    I love my go. Bought in on e bay and paid about 150. I just use mine all the time, strips and squares, hexagon and lots of other shapes. I just buy the dies as I need them
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    I have the Alto Quilt Cut II and it's good but limited. I have the Go and it's as important to me as my sewing machine. I use it for about every quilt I cut fabric for. I do waste DH's money on dies and mats and I don't mind at all. LOL.
    Got fabric?

I have the AccuQuilt Go and really like it for cutting binding strips 1" and 2 1/2". I think it's something you love or hate. When I first saw them, I thought, "I'd never need one of those." Now I love it. The dies are pricey and the 40% off coupon won't work at Joanes, however they do put them on sale. Also nice for cutting perfect circles. I love the fall leaves die.

I have both the go and studio cutters I really like them.

So far I haven't found anything I can't do with a rotary cutter and scissors. I used to drool over the Altos, but now not so much.

I have the Sizzix Westminster Pro. I use Accuquilt Go dies with it since they are what I can easily find. I love the thing. I'll never be without a die cutter.

I bought the Studio from accuquilt and it is wonderful, I love it and use it all the time. I purchased a cutter because I have bad hands and using scissors or a rotary cutter for more than a minute or two hurts my hands, and this is the great answer for it. You can use the Go dies with the Studio cutter by buying an inexpensive adapter that is made for it, so you can use the cheaper Go dies on the Studio, but can't cut as many layers as the Studio dies. I use both and have had great success with both types of dies.

I started by buying a few dies and added from there. I haven't bought any applique dies because I don't do that. Just the strips and geo dies.

Quote Originally Posted by bergalex99 View Post
    I'm considering buying a fabric cutter. I wondered if you would mind sharing with me whether or not you use yours, how well you like it or dislike it and if it's really worth the money. Would you buy it again ? Which brand do you recomend or not? My husband is willing to spring for one of these but I don't want to waste his money. Thanks for your help.
    Sewbeadit
    Montesano, Washington

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast