Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric dregs >

fabric dregs

fabric dregs

Old 02-26-2015, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Default fabric dregs

I have decided that I do not need to use -or keep - something that was given to me. (I am talking about scraps, ufo projects, etc. I am NOT talking about something lovingly made for me.)

The donor may have meant well - or may have been dumping - but I feel no obligation at this point in my life to do any more than say " thank you for thinking of me " with that stuff.

In fact, I have decided I do not need to use - or keep - some of the stuff I bought for myself.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:45 AM

I agree. People knowing you sew will give you just about anything. I had a neighbor who said they were cleaning out his mom's house before she went to assisted living, had a huge bag of fabric that they knew I would want! I figured if nothing else I would take it down (which is what I did) to my mom's Sr Center and let them have at it.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:54 AM

Free fabric?

Over here over here.

(If it's free it's for ME!)
Old 02-26-2015, 07:58 AM

I agree 100%! I will go through what has been given to me and sort into piles...one pile is for will never, ever use...one pile is for I will definitely use, but only after washing....last pile is not my choice, but usable for scrappy after washing. The never use pile gets thrown into a bag and out it goes to donate or sometimes trash (some people don't realize that your 40 year old drapes do not make good quilts!)....anything I keep gets washed and then into the appropriate storage container.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:51 AM

That whole "one man's trash is another man's treasure" surely applies. Surely you can find folks here (DresiArnaz and I for instance) who might love to have some of it (and would pay postage) if you posted photos of what you have.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Wow. DH told me he saved me. Some one from work found out I attempt to sew and quilt. They gave him a large garbage bag full of fabric. I asked him if it was in the back of his truck. Nope in the dumpster. He said it smelled contagious.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:23 AM

Getting rid of excess fabric is easy for me. My guild does an annual sale and accepts donations of quilting fabrics - washed or unwashed, any size, any shape. They also accept donations of fabric and batting for charity quilts and cat & dog "cuddles" for the shelter.

Alternatively, and for anything that's not quilting fabrics, there's a local shop called "Legacy" that takes any kind of fabric donations (including UFO's) and also various sewing/crafting supplies/tools and they will sell it; the profits benefit the local senior center.

AND, then there's Linus project. My local rep is actually a member here, I've had the pleasure of meeting her in person, so there's yet another place to me to donate fabrics. (I haven't yet, but I should...I have some kid-friendly fabrics I could stand to let go of....)

I've been given fabrics a few times and I always tell them that a condition of me taking it is that I will take whatever I can use and then donate the rest. I've never had anybody think that was a bad idea or not give me the fabric - they're just glad to be rid of it and trust that I will do my best to get it somewhere where it will be used. Unless it's gross - I had to toss a big bag full of fabric because rats or mice had gotten into it and I wasn't even going to TRY to salvage any of that nastiness! It went straight from my car into the trash. Ick!
Old 02-26-2015, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

For the last few years I tell folks that want to gift me with 'a lot of fabric found' in the closet that I will be glad to take it but I will use it for pet beds for the shelter. I want them to know up front what may become of it.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

I TOTALLY agree with your statement. Time to purge and pass it onto a charity group that will be delighted for the donation.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
The donor may have meant well - or may have been dumping - but I feel no obligation at this point in my life to do any more than say " thank you for thinking of me " with that stuff.
I purged many things when I finally figured that out. If I had no use for it, it was just clutter. Threw some things away and donated the rest to the thrift shop. Not only did it get rid of the physical mess, emotionally it felt good to let go without guilt.