Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric drying out fingers? >

Fabric drying out fingers?

Fabric drying out fingers?

Old 04-07-2015, 07:11 PM

Surgical super glue is not the same as the stuff we buy to fix a broken vase. I cannot remember which poison is in super glue, my dentist told me once that a patient had fixed his bridge with super glue and made himself very sick.

I work with paper all day and fabric at home. I use a variety of moisturizers over the course of a day to keep my hands in good shape. And I am lucky, I do not live in a cold or hot dry climate, which makes it every worse.

Back in the day I worked in food service,( back when we washed our hands instead of wearing gloves), I developed eczema from handling cheese and smokes salmon. It got to the point I could not touch either product any more.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:26 PM

That is why I wash all fabric before handling it.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:10 PM

Ms. Grace, I too have very dry and cracked thumb and finger tips, Eucerin is good. I use Burt's Bees Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Creme. I know that for me, it heals my fingertips and thumbs practically overnight. One caution, it is oily, so you don't want to use it and then go to work on a quilt. I've also used Gold Bond Healing (in tube) and it works well, too. I like the Burt's Bees Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Creme because it works best. It's a little more expensive than Gold Bond but it goes a long way. I feel for you, because I know what it feels like. Hope your hands heal quickly!

Jeanette
Old 04-08-2015, 01:35 AM

My hands dry out when I sew, knit, or handle lots of paper. I use Jergens Ultra Healing lotion. It is thick and is quickly absorbed by my skin.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:05 AM

The fabric will draw the moisture from your hands.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:51 AM

I agree with everrything that has been said, and i have used all of the above mentiones lotions and cremes. Its a constant on going problem. I also prewash all my fabric and my hands still get dry and cracked. My dermatologist suggested the Cervae creme which works well, most drugstores sell it. Large jar and alittle pricey but worth it. I do buy vinyl gloves to wear a lot and that helps. Good luck in finding what works for you
Old 04-08-2015, 02:58 AM

I have very sensitive & dry skin & can't use most lotions or creams as they burn me. Same with most soaps. Working hands & bag balm work best for me. I use them mostly at night.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:15 AM

I use udder cream on my hands and it helps a lot. Also Goldbond for extra dry skin helps. Quit quilting? NEVER!!!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:26 AM

My doctor recommended Working Hands. Look around. I found that the farm stores sell it cheaper than Walmart, etc. Home Depot also has it cheaper at least here in Montana.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:56 AM

I have the cracked fingertips syndrome also. I am retired from working as a keyboard musician for 50 years and now
spend more time with fabric than ever before!! I used to prewash all fabrics but since I began playing with precuts,
my hands are cracking than ever ! I discovered Lotil healed better than anything else I have tried. I found it at The
Vermont Country Store in their catalogue, also on the website. It has no perfumes and is rather sticky but if I really
rub it in, the healing is so fast that any irritation is gone quickly and the cracks do not bother me as much, even if
they take a little more time.
Great stuff IMHO !!