Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric grain issues...help, please >

Fabric grain issues...help, please

Fabric grain issues...help, please

Old 01-18-2015, 04:37 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
Default Fabric grain issues...help, please

I thought maybe I was getting sloppy in my cutting, because my 12" squares weren't cutting right. I mean, how hard can it be? I know how to find straight-of-grain ( I was taught by the best, right here on the board ). So why can't I get my squares right? Then I took a really good look at this piece of fabric and I think I have a problem.

In the photo, one ruler is lined up on the warp thread, and the other on the weft. They're supposed to be perpendicular! And this isn't cheap fabric, it's Moda.

So, how do I cut this, or do I need to rebuy my fabric?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails ww.jpg  
Old 01-18-2015, 05:02 AM

It looks like there is some woven texture to that fabric. That may throw things off.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:10 AM

Your fabric is what my mother used to call "swivven". Gently tug diagonally opposite corners until it straightens up.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:14 AM

When I have fabric like that I starch it heavily before cutting and this makes accurate cutting easier. if it has a directional print that is wonky I sometimes cut at a slight angle on the fabric to get the design straight on the cut piece, and starching helps keep the edges from stretching.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
Your fabric is what my mother used to call "swivven". Gently tug diagonally opposite corners until it straightens up.
My mom used a different term, but to the same effect. For garment construction, the fabric grain is much more important than in quilting. We would cut one edge on grain (WOF), often pulling a single thread to determine the grain. Then pull opposite corners. We weren't gentle! Keep checking by folding the fabric with selvedges together until it hangs correctly. For quilting, it's not as important because you aren't looking for the fabric to drape. Unless you want to use the fabric exactly on weave for design purposes, just starch it and pick one for the straight.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:35 AM

Paper princess is right on......
Old 01-18-2015, 06:11 AM

I agree with Paper princess as well. Just starch the daylights out the fabric, cut square to the design (if that is your desire) and go with it.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:48 AM

I would wash the fabric first. After washing I would pull a thread from wof and see how far off the fabric is at that point. If it is still off then I would do the diagonal pull several times. Mom and I would start the pull with our hands about 6in each side from center, pull 3 or 4 times, move out 6in and repeat. This USUALLY took care of grain line problems.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:58 AM

If the 'pull the thread" does not work, you could try a snip at the selvedge then tear to find the grain line. Then pull as others suggested.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:30 AM

My mom called that sort of problem 'vinksh' in Low German. I have found that cutting with the grain is sometimes not the best in quilting. Especially if you have a fabric that has a looser weave or frays easily. Cutting slightly off the grain will keep the fraying to a minimum. I don't sweat it unless there is a distinct pattern to the fabric.