Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric from Japan >

fabric from Japan

fabric from Japan

Old 02-28-2014, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
Can I ask why silk would not be appropriate for a quilt? Does every quilt need to be cotton?

Silk is entirely appropriate for quilts. Loads of award winning quilts are being made with Dupioni silk but dupioni is a rougher weave and stronger than traditional garment silks. Silk would not hold up to normal washing so that is probably why it isn't recommended for bed quilts or utility quilts. And of course the most luxurious of battings is silk batting but it is very spendy and mostly reserved for quilted garments because if its wonderful drape.

Here is a great article on quilting with silk:http://www.mccallsquilting.com/conte...op_Web_new.pdf
Old 02-28-2014, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Here is another source for Japanese fabrics
http://maimisaki.com/index.php/fabric.html

Seems to be mostly Taupe fabrics (style of Japanese fabrics in very muted colors not to be confused with the color taupe) which sounds like what you are describing.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 02-28-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ellageo View Post
I can't help, but come across a 'funny' experience the other day. Ordered a pattern from Japan, and at the top of the site was this: "Our products show no traces of radioactivity...." It's actually not funny at all, but the warning, just made me chuckle, I never thought about radioactivity!!
the disclaimer was put on because of Fukushima, the nuclear power plant leaking radiation that was damaged in the Tsunami of 2011
Old 02-28-2014, 07:47 AM

Is it Lecien fabric? I've got some of that and it is beautiful!! Almost gagged when I saw how much per yard they want ($2-3/yd more than other fabrics)
Old 02-28-2014, 08:30 AM

Silk is wonderful in quilts. You just have to use some type of stabilizer before you cut and piece.

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
Can I ask why silk would not be appropriate for a quilt? Does every quilt need to be cotton?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:33 AM

I would look at Lecien's Centenary Collection as well as fabrics by Daiwabo. Homestead Hearth Carries both. One World Fabrics also carries a large line of japanese taupes.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:30 AM

Oriental Silk Co. They sell all kinds of fabrics from China and the Orient.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:06 PM

My favourite Japanese fabric source is https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/kallistiquilts

They set up at the Creativ Festival in Toronto every year and I fall in love with there fabrics every time.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
Silk is wonderful in quilts. You just have to use some type of stabilizer before you cut and piece.
The reason I asked is the poster "sounded" as if it were taboo to use silk. I have made 2 silk wall hangings in the last year, as I have a friend who lives in China and beings home some fabulous yardage. I actually mixed fabrics in the second one...used silk, cotton, wool and a small bit of rayon velvet. I am not finished because I want to add silk thread embroidery and some special beads he is bringing home this time. On his way back he will stop in Japan, hope he has time to shop for me.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
maybe you could help me. I have a friend that her son brought her a very large yardage of fabric from Japan. We can find NO colors here to match up. Also the texture if far different than ours, almost silky. The fabric has large flowers on it but leans to mauve lights and darks not pinks. Do any of you know of an on line site that carries nice oriental fabrics that we could order samples from? Thanks for any help you can give us.
For natural tone Taupe fabrics from Japan, One World Fabrics has the best selection. Online only

http://www.oneworldfabrics.com