Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Manufacturers Quality >

Fabric Manufacturers Quality

Fabric Manufacturers Quality

Old 06-10-2015, 11:34 PM

Of the different manufacturers fabrics I have, the fabrics by Lecien are my favourite, they feel softer and somehow more substantial to me. However, I only have one range by them so other ranges could be manufactured differently.

Last edited by sophiebernina; 06-10-2015 at 11:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-11-2015, 12:05 AM

You're right, she will love it, but I still want to make her something great that will last! I'm a crazy perfectionist. Yes, she likes shapes and bright colors. She's not a big fan of floral.. and so it's been a bit difficult to find stay away from that. Thanks for your approval of Art Gallery! Other company's I've been able to find prints in have been Michael Miller and Robert Kaufman.

As for thread and batting, I don't have specific brands picked out yet. Although I've read that cotton thread should be used and that Aurifil thread is good. Batting is something I haven't looked much into, but I definitely want to use natural fibers. So I will probably go with wool or cotton.

And it's good to know that not all widths are the typical 44''. Now I know to pay closer attention when getting yardage!
Old 06-11-2015, 04:05 AM

Keep in mind that the "hand" of the fabric can be altered by the "finishing" process. I have fabrics in my stash that go back 6-7 years. That "finish" has aged and become crusty, dry. It does wash out but it was an eye opener to feel quality fabric that was soft at the time of purchase is now stiffer. Finishing processes can be decieving. Think before spray starch vs. after spray starch "hand".

Sandy
Old 06-11-2015, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by sophiebernina View Post
Of the different manufacturers fabrics I have, the fabrics by Lecien are my favourite, they feel softer and somehow more substantial to me. However, I only have one range by them so other ranges could be manufactured differently.
I agree. I dont feel the "finish" that is applied to lots of other brands.
Sandy
Old 06-11-2015, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

I have been quilting for over 25 years so I stick with what I know has quality in the feel and the wear of the fabric. My favorites are Hoffman, Robert Kaufman and Timeless Treasure.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:29 AM

....hmmmm, just wondering...I have personally not really deeply analyzed fabric content, mfgr vs. mfgr., I only look, feel, if I like its design, color, or whatever draws my eye to it initially will determine my purchasing or not....but now after reading all this above comments I'm being to wondering if, like thread, the deeper the color concentration, the heftier it feels. Someone mentioned the same mfgr line with white background was stretchier than one with colored bkgrnd....wonder if that has to do with dye applications.....ok deep thinking time is now over.....back to the fun part - cutting and sewing back together differently!
Old 06-11-2015, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Liberty of London is one of my favorite brands of quilting cotton fabric but it's hard to find in shops.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:02 AM

I don't have a particular favorite. I just use what I like the looks and feel of. Just be careful you are not overthinking and limiting yourself to what is out there. There is so much to see. Hancock's of Paducah carries so much quilting fabric. If you want some real eye candy check out their web site.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:19 AM

You say you are new to quilting too.....how new, may I ask? Do you have a sewing machine or are you planning on hand working this project? Just curious....
Old 06-11-2015, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

I bought a group of fabrics years ago that each one had been dyed several shades of the same color.

The pale strip felt very flimsy - the darker the strips - the stiffer the fabric felt. Even after washing.