Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric From Marshall's Dry Goods? >

Fabric From Marshall's Dry Goods?

Fabric From Marshall's Dry Goods?

Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 PM

I wonder how they can sell fabric for so cheap? I wonder if its overstocks or just volume. I have never ordered from them nor been to the store. I am interested in ordering though.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

They sell at the same price as other fabric distributors sell. If you buy the bolt you get the wholesale price. It's usually $2.98 yard if you buy the bolt. The buy the yard price is higher. I buy a lot of blender and solid color fabric by the bolt. You can ask to be on their wholesale email and you will get pictures and prices of all the new fabric sold by the bolt. There are two websites, retail and wholesale.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:32 PM

I wish i lived closer!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:52 PM

For anyone who knows...on the wholesale side of the site, when they have their flat fold collections, do you know how many yards are in each one? If there are 17 fabrics, how many yards are in each color? I saw that some of them say 16 prints, 6 yards each. Is that generally what they do?

For anyone who wants some really, really cheap fabric, they have some Hannah Montana fabric for .50/yard.

While I personally gag at the thought of her, if cut into 1.5" strips and the only thing left is the color and no discernable design. I thought it a great price and one of the pieces would make beautiful turquoise/pink (I think) strips to put into designs that need that size.

You couldn't see that the original was that pattern by cutting it that small. (I really wouldn't want to promote her, but fabric is fabric...)
Old 04-24-2014, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
I wonder how they can sell fabric for so cheap?
It does make one wonder, though, at what is the real bottom line cost of a yard of fabric.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

All the flat folds packages at the warehouse are at least 5 yards of each fabric. The folds are open and sold separately too in the fabric by the yard side. If you have Ben Franklin or remember Alco having fabric, it was all from flat folds.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
All the flat folds packages at the warehouse are at least 5 yards of each fabric. The folds are open and sold separately too in the fabric by the yard side. If you have Ben Franklin or remember Alco having fabric, it was all from flat folds.
Are the flat folds the same quality as the bolts and by-the-yard fabric? What I'm remembering from Ben Franklin wasn't all that great.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 AM

I've never been there, but have a bit of their fabric. It is average+ quilt shop to high chain store quality, not the best, not the worst I've seen, just okay. If I were 2 hours away, I'd definitely go just for the experience of seeing what I could find.

I would say their fabric is priced so well because of 3 points:
1. They do not employ "name brand" fabric designers.
2. The prints for the most part aren't anything special, nice, but now WOW.
3. And it's probably a little bit that they price closer to what fabric really should cost.

I was in fabric retail in the 90's. FYI: quilt shops are paying more than $2.98 wholesale now, probably in the range of double that, so don't think they're the ones responsible for the exorbitant fabric prices.....
Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 AM
Evy

Their customer service is great also. I ordered 5 yards of fabric to be shipped to me in KY, got an email confirmation that that was where it was sent, and it ended up at our place in FL. I called and explained what happened and they sent the identical order to me in KY at no charge. I've ordered lots of fabric from them and have never had anything to complain about. Would love to see the store.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:46 AM

I ordered some 1.50 a yard clearance fabric from them a while back for charity quilts. Got 9 yards and wished I'd ordered more. It was nice fabric, washed well and I saw the same fabric elsewhere online for $8.99. I keep checking, but I haven't found any more bargains like that. Someone on the quilting board tipped me off to that sale.