Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fabric names

Some of the fabrics have LOTS of sizing--and the Walmart stuff is the cheapest grade the manufacturers make--
    Try shopping online---we can all give good suggestions there if you ask!

Blog Entries
    I don"t limit myself to just looking at quilting cottons. You can find some lovely cottonsd in the fashion sections too. I have yet to go into a LQS, have shopped online. That is so easy, but you can never be positive if you will be happy until it arrives. I have bought nice cottons at Wal Mart, and at Hancocks, but I avoid the ones that feel too thin. But then again, cotton shrinks, and some of those thin, loosely woven cottons get better feeling after they have been washed and a little starch added before cutting. I like to take a hunk of fabric and rub it between my thumbs, hard! You can tell a lot by doing that.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I always thought Waverly was more for home dec things. I love Hoffman, Moda, RJR,Robert Kaufmann etc.
    There are so many!

Blog Entries
    Moda, Hoffman, Rowan, RJF, Andover, just to name a few.

Blog Entries
    My favorite is the silky feel of Benartex, but Moda is right behind with it's more stable feel. I had to put a connectingthreads.com batik in with my Moda Fandango fabrics and the difference is amazing. I swear I can feel that piece stretching as I handle it. It'll be fine once it's all surrounded.

When I am in the fabric store or the fabric section of WalMart, I don't pay attention to the manufacturer, just the feel. I bought yards and yards Wednesday and couldn't tell you who made any of them except one Benartex piece I was already familiar with.

Some of my favs are Kaufman, Moda, Northcott, and a new one I like is Avlyn.

The bottom line for me is how it feels when I pick it up.

I have plenty of Walmart fabric in my stash, but only buy it if it's not thin or too stiff.

I love my Moda! Awesome quality!

Wilsons in Boaz, AL. It has some good stuff. I like it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2