Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Organization >

Fabric Organization

Fabric Organization

Old 08-22-2011, 03:34 PM

I'm in the process of (gasp) actually organizing my fabric, and I was wondering how people have done it. Do you like open shelving or in drawers better? A good way to organize the fabric itself- dividers? by color? Just looking for your thoughts.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:36 PM

I have most of it in cabinets with doors. Keeps the light and dust off of it. Mine is mostly divided by color. Also by type, and size.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:36 PM

you can get those fabric boards from a member on here and for a good price. I have mine in photo boxes in a china hutch in my dining room. (don't have a real sewing area/room) there are thousands of ways to store the fabric though. just depends on your needs and desires and the fabric area. I also have mine divided by style. batik non batik and FQ's are the same way. only have probably 30 yards total and that is pushing it.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:41 PM

I sure like shelves better than drawers. I used the ruler fold method and really like it!

Mine are folded and sorted by light, med, dark color values. I have fabric pulled from my stash and put it with the coordinating project. I have mine in open wire racks where they can breathe (we live in a humid climate)and plan on covering with a clear shower curtain to keep dust and dirt away.

When we were buying a new tv stand at Pier 1, my husband suggested we purchase the taller cabinet that matched, for my fabric. Some of my stash is still on bolts, some are pre-sorted into 'these fabrics will make this quilt one day', some by 2 1/2" strips (left overs from completed quilts), some batting is already cut up into 8" squares for the next rag quilt I make, and some fat quarters are in a plastic container. Wow, that sounds like my cabinet is a mess, but it's not.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

I just have mine in rubbermade containers.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 PM

I prefer my sewing area to look as tidy and neat as any other room in my house. In other words, I don't want shelves full of fabric, thread, notions etc. lining the walls. I have all of my fabric folded and sorted by colors. I use the main color of the fabric to decide which tub it goes in so if I have a dainty floral with a white background it goes in my white container etc. My fabric is kept in see through tubs (the size next larger to a shoebox) and I store them under my LA since I don't have a closet in my sewing room. I have skirted my LA so they don't show and I keep my LA covered when not in use. It is in an alcove adjacent to my living room so I want that area to look as neat as possible when I'm not actually using it. But that's just me, others are more comfortable when they are surrounded by their fabrics, equipment and other quilting goods. You have to decide just what will make YOU happy in the end. Good Luck
Old 08-22-2011, 03:50 PM

i have mine in a walk in closet to keep away sunlight and dust.

it is organized on shelves by theme and then color (batiks, 30s, repro, geometric, asian, etc)
Old 08-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

I'm in the process of pulling all of my fabrics out of the rubbermaid bins and putting them straight on the shelf. A general sort by color works for me. Then I have some other shelves with different patterns (batiks, kid patterns, Halloween, etc) Let's see how that works.