Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Organizers >

Fabric Organizers

Fabric Organizers

Old 12-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Default Fabric Organizers

I ordered and just received several of the new fabric organizer boards from Clotilde. http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?...923&cat_id=153
I LOVE them. I have just started wrapping some of my fabrics. I decided to fold (neatly) the fat quarters that I have and keep them color coded in my shoe boxes. But if I have a larger cut, I am wrapping it on the fabric organizer and marking a sticky note with the amount of yardage. That way I don't have to unwrap the entire thing just to find out how much is there. I know that I could cut some for myself from foamcore, but it's just so much easier to order them! GOAL: Organized fabric closet!

bev
Old 12-18-2011, 05:34 PM

Can't wait to see the final organized stash. I am considering doing the same.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:36 PM

Thanks for sharing. I will have to keep these in mind when I finally end up with some extra fabric.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:41 PM

I just finished last week wrapping my fabric, I ordered the acid free comic boards, while they aren't the quality of others, they work very nicely! So inexpensive which fit my budget nicely. I am happy & I can see my fabric and what I have without digging thru it.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:58 PM

I have most of mine on boards and it is great I can see at a glance what I have. so easy to store! Looks great in my old china hutch. Now just have to get the rest of those bins empty of fabric. only problem, running out of space to put the boards! LOL
Old 12-18-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by deedum View Post
I just finished last week wrapping my fabric, I ordered the acid free comic boards, while they aren't the quality of others, they work very nicely! So inexpensive which fit my budget nicely. I am happy & I can see my fabric and what I have without digging thru it.

I did the same thing and I am so glad I did. I feel like I have my own little quilt shop when I see my fabric on shelves.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
I have most of mine on boards and it is great I can see at a glance what I have. so easy to store! Looks great in my old china hutch. Now just have to get the rest of those bins empty of fabric. only problem, running out of space to put the boards! LOL
I'm in the same boat at you. I organized mine on the comic boards but keep buying fabric and have run out of room. My New Year's resolution is going to have to be to finish some projects and use up some of my stash.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:43 PM

Good organizing means you have room for more fabric.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:35 PM

I'm in the processing of wrapping my fabric around acid free comic/magazine boards. They're not as thick, but the price was right (100 for about $10). Either way I think it's a great idea to have your fabric organized like that. You should post some pictures of your fabric when you're finished. I'd love to see the final result.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:00 PM

I use a piece of heavy cardstock 12X12 from the scrapbooking dept folded in half. I fold the fabric over one more time, with the name of the fabric on the inside, so I can see it easily. It keeps my fabric organized and was very inexpensive. They give just enough thickness to keep them on a book shelve vertically. I wrap everything from 1/2 yard to 4 yards on them. It has worked for me for over a year, and I can get them off the shelf without moving all the other fabrics, like when they were stacked on the shelf. I buy my cardstock for this when it is on sale in big packages, and it don't matter if it is ugly or not. This is a great savings when you have about 500 pieces of fabric to display, and the thinness of the cardstock don't take up any room on the shelf, all fabric.