Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Fabric at our WalMart >
  • Fabric at our WalMart

• Fabric at our WalMart

Old 09-08-2014, 10:58 PM

I shop WalMart Fabrics quite a bit. A large percentage of the fabric is quilting fabric, 100% cotton. Just as in any fabric store, you need to watch what you're buying. If I don't find anything I want, I just don't buy. I am a widow, and my budget is tight, but I still spend too much on fabric! JA's in this locale as significantly higher in price, and I really don't like the feel of a lot of the fabric. I have five WalMart's within a reasonable distance, but mostly shop at the same store. I am very careful what fabric I buy -- if it's flimsy, forget it! This is especially true if you are using the fabric to make your binding -- I've just recently had that fact beaten into my memory -- applied binding to the quilted table runner, an it was bad, and I didn't like the way it looked. So. I removed the binding (and, wow, do I hate ripping seams. I replaced the binding, and brother, does it look better. I guess we all buy what we can afford to buy, and I generally buy a reasonably good quality, if it's priced so that I can afford to buy it! I sure don't want flimsy, very thin fabric -- that's just too much work to put into a quilt to use flimsy, very thin fabric. JMHJO!

Jeanette
    Old 09-09-2014, 11:13 AM

A quilt shop owner - or staff - should NEVER comment about how MUCH / how LITTLE a customer has spent ... (may be ok IF she's an old friend but even then ?) ... that's a BIG No no !! If she keeps that up, she will drive customers away ...
    I worked and taught classes at 2 LQS a few years ago, and it was all those "small" sales that kept us going ... they added up quick ... vs the infrequent "big" spenders !

Last edited by TexasGurl; 09-09-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    Old 09-09-2014, 01:31 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Nona
    Walmart fabric and sewing sections are at the whim of the store manager.
    No, they're not. See message #51 above. Small independent stores or chains have the discretion to put what they want in their stores but for the major retailers like Walmart, Target, etc. corporate planners decide on every single item that goes into every store.

Cari