Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Painted Quilt >

Fabric Painted Quilt

Fabric Painted Quilt

Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 AM

Hi, I'm in the process of designing the next quilt I'm going to be working on and have decided that I would like to paint some of the blocks as well as appliqué.
I've already bought several tubs of fabric paint, but unsure which background fabric would be best to use.
I'm in the UK and have several online shops I could use, so would really like a recommendation. Ivory or white, moda or ??

Also, I always like to wash my quilts when they're finished. I know this is going to take a long time to complete, but need to know if the heat setting from the iron really does work.
Thank for your recommendation, and any suggestions or advice for fabric painting would be really appreciated.

Damkina

(I think this should have gone in the general category). Ooops!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 AM

I've painted on fabric for years. The trick is not to use too thick of paint. You'll get truer colors if you use white. Prewash it and don't use fabric softener. And, yes, heat setting most definitely works. Make sure that the paint has dried completely before you press it.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:50 AM

There is a fabric available some places that is RTD, meaning "ready to dye". Don't know how available it is, but I think it would accept the paint more readily and maybe it would "set" better.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:32 AM

I've painted on lots of fabrics---every quality from WalMart to LQS--- and I'm not picky about the fabric, though I do use 100% cotton, white, and always prewash, dry and iron. And ditto to everything that Raptureready said about paint thickness and heat setting.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:33 AM

I love painting on fabric, but it is a bit unforgiving. Be sure you have extra fabric "just in case". I smear paint occasionally. Ditto to everything raptureready and teacherbailey said. I find that a medium grade fabric works best. Too tightly woven thread resists the paint a bit too much. I have a dresser scarf I painted 45 years ago, though it is looking a bit faded now.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:49 AM

I use the prepared for dying fabric when available, the Seta paints and tsukineko inks to add depth and permanence instead of using just water as a mixer or thinner. Here is one I am doing on Pink fabric which has been appliqued down.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-142022.jpe   attachment-142023.jpe  
Old 02-12-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32
There is a fabric available some places that is RTD, meaning "ready to dye". Don't know how available it is, but I think it would accept the paint more readily and maybe it would "set" better.
I think there's a term called PFD which is "prepared for dyeing". But, that's for fabric dyes. I've "painted" fabrics with dyes. It's a different process. But, lots of fun. Many books out on dyeing fabric. Just a thought.

Cynthia
Old 02-12-2011, 08:28 AM

I haven't done any fabric painting with paints, but have used Crayola Crayons to color blocks. The heat setting works, the results are very washable and should the color fade (I haven't had anything that did), you can always recolor it and heat set it again.

Using Crayola crayons for projects is something you can do with your children and grandchildren.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:59 AM
Lyn

I just watched a craft show Donna Dewberry does. She painted bright flowers on black cloth squares for a quilt. It was very pretty and the colors she used in the fabric paint were the colors of the fabric she used to connect the black squares in her quilt. Hope this makes sense.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:37 PM

Thank you all so much for all the advice. I have bought my 'white' fabric today, and yes, have bought some extra just in case, as well as a few more paint pots.
I will be washing my fabric tomorrow, but I wondered what method of painting is best or preferred... A whole cloth with the blocks/appliqué drawn on, or to cut the blocks out and paint each one separate before sewing together.

Thanks again
Damkina

Love the elephants