Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Painting or Landscape Piecing? >

Fabric Painting or Landscape Piecing?

Fabric Painting or Landscape Piecing?

Old 07-14-2015, 09:06 PM

I like to make a pieced background. Sometimes I'll make a Log Cabin block or Courthouse Steps or any other block you'd prefer. Use different values of colors and it'll all blend together. Then you can fuse your applique sections over your pieced background.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:02 PM

Fireworkslover, thanks for the encouragement & the tips.

I actually plan to do turned edge applique for the foreground. I know that cutting out the center of the fusible web helps make the pieces less stiff, but it's still not particularly fun to try and applique through that & I kind of prefer the look of turned edge applique where the stitches are mostly hidden.

I found Karen Kay Buckley's perfect circles (and perfect ovals) a year ago & just love them. I think they will be perfect for my applique. I'm actually thinking about playing around with fabrics other than quilter's cotton for some of the applique -- maybe some silk, organza, lace & such. I haven't decided for sure, but it would allow viewers to see the piecing underneath & might give a fun effect with the water. My design is still a bit of a work in progress, but at the moment I have planned to applique 169 circles on to the top of my quilt. For the top 38%, I will use quilter's cotton; the bottom 62% is where I am thinking about maybe trying some other options. This is the first quilt I've ever designed & I'm having oh so much fun making all these choices as I go along.