Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric photos - anyone have problems >

fabric photos - anyone have problems

fabric photos - anyone have problems

Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 PM

Unhappy fabric photos - anyone have problems

I am trying to do a quilt that has photos on it. I bought Printed Treasures inkjet photo fabric. Printed my pictures (all of them for the quilt) then went to peel off the backing. It wouldn't come off. I have fought with it all day.

I went to the Dritz website and not much of a way to contact them. Sent a e-mail to them. Then i called Jo-Ann's where i purchased the Printed Treasures fab. No one there knew anything about them. I have put lots of pictures on items and don't usually buy this brand but the last time i bought these this was the only brand they had so I bought it. We are kind of in the middle of nowhere and it's a hundred miles to Jo Anns. After the clerk had talked to two different people and they couldn't help me at all i asked for a refund of my money for the 2 packages of Printed treasures i had purchased. They said there wasn't a thing they could do. This added up to about $90.00 not counting a trip to them or buying more of another brand. I am grumbling I guess -- I just feel if they sell something and it isn't satisfactory shouldn't they stand behind it? What does any one else think?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:15 PM

They should stand behind everything in their stores, and they should honor a refund or at least give you a store credit for the amount. You may try calling another store and explain your situation and tell them how the other store would not help you. Also make sure if the website has a place to submit reviews for a store leave one so hopefully someone in corporate or at least a manager will see it!! As stores and people have to stand behind their products.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:43 AM

I use printable fabric all the time but I understand your frustration. How about soaking the fabric in warm water and see if after a while the paper comes off. Another way is to score the back and see if it tears the paper so you can take it off. That is all I can think of doing. I live a long way from town too, and understand how you feel with petrol costs going up all the time.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:21 AM

I score the back of it with a sharp pin. You also might want to run an iron over it to soften the glue.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:30 AM
Banned

What a mess.
I'd try soaking in warm water like Annya said.
As to fabric for photo printing - I used to buy Printed Treasure but disliked how thick and stiff the fabric was.
I found Jenkins Miracle Fabric and now would never use any other. It's a light-weight, soft fabric.
http://www.cjenkinscompany.com - click on "miracle fabric sheets" on the left. I buy white/10 to a pack.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:44 AM

I had the same frustration in the beginning and I bought the jumbo pack at Joans 40% off. Someone from here said to iron them and it works wonders! I let the ink cure for a day or two and then begin ironing in a corner, once I have the corner lifted, I warm up the rest and it just glides off with no distortion of the fabric layer. It does re-set as it cools, so you may have to re-warm areas if it is a large photo.

The other problem I had is that my husband started buying refill inks for our HP Injet printer and the ink was bleeding like crazy, borrowed my daughters with HP ink and no problem. Had to cut out & applique new label, lesson learned...stick with the real deal rather than the refillables.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:47 AM

Oh, and I tried the soaking in water first, but there was always residual paper left on the back. Heating removes all the paper at once, then I place the fabric under cold running water in a bowl as per the instructions.

Good Luck!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:54 AM

You're scaring me. I have the same product and am ready to do my first pictures ever. It's good to know about using the iron.

As far as the store goes, go to JA's website and contact corporate. In the 90s, we stood behind the products sold. I would hope that still applies.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:44 PM

Maybe i'm missing something here, i can see want a store to refund for something unused but why should they refund your money for something "you" messed up? Not saying you didn't follow instructions but they have no way of knowing if you did or didn't.
They really have no way of knowing whether the problem is the product or the user. some stores will give you your money back regardless of reason-simplyfor "customer satisfaction" but most will not
Old 11-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

have you heat set the pictures? usually the paper peels off fairly easily once heated.- place a piece of muslin (or other scrap fabric down to catch any fugitive ink) place the picture face down on top of the pressing cloth- press with your iron on a cotton setting- peeling the paper from one corner- should come off.sometimes it is hard to get it started- try using the tip of a seam ripper- or a large pin to start the corner.