Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric purchases >

Fabric purchases

Fabric purchases

Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
How do you purchase your fabric? I look at people's projects and think I have all the colours but not enough of the background colour ie usually white. Love the pin wheels with white background but I could never start as I know I don't have enough white. I can work out quantity, do you purchase that amount or more? Do people buy part bolts in one background colour?
I started a project luckily when I required more fabric found a location in USA who had some but it was very expensive. I have a stash of all colours which would just be too much without a plain or cooler background.
I wait until Kona Cotton is on sale and then I buy 4 to 6 yards of a different color each time. It has helped to build up my background stash and it is always there when I need it. Buying a little at a time helps not to break the bank.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

I keep several yards of bleached and unbleached muslin on hand
Old 03-20-2013, 12:23 PM

When I am browsing thrift stores, I always watch for sheets that are good colors for backgrounds, including white ones. You get a LOT of yardage in a sheet and can make a lot of backgrounds from just 1 sheet.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

If I see a fabric I have to have I buy between 2 -3 yards, however, when I see fabric on sale, I will buy 6-8 yards, especially if it is a white on white or being tone on tone, as these are my basics for backgrounds. If I see a great fabric I will buy the 2-3 yards, but then also buy one or two other pieces to go with it, but buy only 1 to 1 1/2 yard pieces. I guess it just depends on what I see, if it's a good price, and if I have the money to buy it, especially since I'm on a fixed income. It's a good thing I brought lots of my stash with me when we downsized, so I generally "shop" in my totes, although sometimes there is just a piece I have to have.