Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fabric Question - Swiss dots

Fabric Question - Swiss dots

What exactly are Swiss dots - I got some polka dot fabric online - I was told it was quilt fabric - However, the it is a polka dot fabric that is 3D - is that Swiss Dots & can it be used for quilting??
    Thanks
    So Confused

Swiss Dot is a tiny flocked dot on a solid colored fabric, usually something you would see used to make a little girl's dress or curtains. Depending on the underlying fabric, it should be washable and if you got 100% cotton fabric, then I suppose you could use it to make a quilt. After a while, though, the flocking can wear off and leave just a dot on the fabric. That's been my experience when I used to make tings for my daughter when she was little.
    Wendy in VA

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Dotted Swiss was very popular in the late 50's early 60's for many things. Little girl dresses, some home dec that would not get a lot of friction use. Its a thin weight fabric with the "dots" being raised or flocked. It is not what I would consider to be a good quilting fabric. Who ever sold it as such REALLY stretched the definition of "quilt" fabric. techically you can make a quilt out of any fabric... but it is my opinion the seller either just did not have sufficent knowledge of fabric/textiles , or misrepresented by taking such a broad claim.

Are the dots really flocked or stitched? If they are stitched and the fabric is sheer, then back it with an interfacing or a stablizer and just use it.

The dots are flocked and the fabric is sheer. I made clothes for my daughter out of it and I had dresses out of it when I was little. It is NOT a good quilt fabric. It has a coarse weave and those little dots would probably be tricky in quilting. It tends to have a stiffer hand than cotton and you will need a fabric to line it with. Dust and lint collects around those little dots as well!

I learn something new here every day. I know what fabric you folks are describing, but I always thought "Swiss Dots" was just the pattern of small white evenly sized and spaced dots on a colored back ground - be it cotton or poly or whatever.

OK! I'll quit calling cotton with this pattern a "swiss dot"!!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue