Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fabric Question

Hello..
    I tried to a search on this question but didn't find anything. Can you use broadcloth to make rag quilts. Is broadcloth like Flannel? Thanks for the answers.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Broadcloth is not like flannel. I bought some that was 100% cotton for a quilt back. It's a really nice cotton but I think they also make blends.
    Don't know the answer to your other question but someone will :)

Thanks Susan...I have been searching for Green Bay Packer Flannel and have yet to find it...i can find fleece and broadcloth but that is all.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    broadcloth is a tighter woven cotton fabric...sometimes it is known as sheeting...

Blog Entries
    I only use flannel, but you really can use anything you want. Different fabrics will rag differently. I would do a small sample with two or three squares, rag it, and wash it. Then you would know if you like it or not.

Doing a sample square or two is a good idea. I think broadcloth is a little heavier than regular cotton, so it may not 'rag' as well as quilting cotton. Not at all like flannel.

Broadcloth is a nice cotton. I think of it like a thin canvas. It sort of has that feel to it.

I think that it may not rag the same as 100% cotton or flannel, so you may not be pleased with the outcome. I agree that you can try by making a couple of trial squares and try washing and drying them to see what result you get.