Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric Question

I am wondering how many different fabrics does it take to make a nice quilt? I am thinking at least three or four.Do you need more than that?

I am thinking of DP9 or four patch or one made from the tumbler Accuquilt Go Die.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Berta, that's a hard question to answer. There are so many different patterns, some with lots of fabrics and some with just a few.
    From personal experience I can tell you a D9P would be great with 4 fabrics. I made one with about 12-15 different ones and it's busier than I wanted. I still love it but there's no real focal point.
    Hope this helps!! :)

You don't need a lot of fabric to do a nice quilt. With 3 fabrics you could do a 4 patch using 2 fabrics, then surround the patch with a solid color, then use one of the colors in the 4 patch for your border.

Or you can use 3 fabrics if you find a really interesting panel, and use 1 fabric for the center and 2 different fabrics for borders.

Or you can use 2 fabrics if you have an assortment of panels you can combine in a quilt.

If you have a lot of scraps, you cut squares and/or rectangles and sew them all together for a beautiful, interesting, combo of colors quilt.

I like to find panels in the remnant bins and cut them up and incorporate them into quilts but if you aren't a "panel gal", then imagine fabric in place of the panels in the examples below.

Hope this helps.

3 fabrics - panel center and 2 borders
    Name:  Attachment-160501.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  113.8 KB

2 fabrics - pillow panels and a border
    Name:  Attachment-160502.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  110.2 KB

4 fabrics
    Name:  Attachment-160503.jpe
Views: 21
Size:  54.8 KB

6 fabrics
    Name:  Attachment-160504.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  45.3 KB

8 fabrics
    Name:  Attachment-160506.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  95.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Then there are 2 color quilts. Just 2 contrasting fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I like to use three or five if I'm creating the design. I always use odd numbers.

Blog Entries
    I was looking at the quilts that you have in the picture and would love to know where you got the dinosaur fabric from? My Granddaughter LOVES dinosaurs and I would love to make her a quilt with dinosaurs all over it..

My favourite quilts are actually those with only two colors, so you don't need a lot. Whole cloth quilts only use one fabric, and are beautiful!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Lalaland, that 6 fabric quilt is stunning!! I love them all :D

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    You don't need a lot of fabric to do a nice quilt. With 3 fabrics you could do a 4 patch using 2 fabrics, then surround the patch with a solid color, then use one of the colors in the 4 patch for your border.

Or you can use 3 fabrics if you find a really interesting panel, and use 1 fabric for the center and 2 different fabrics for borders.

Or you can use 2 fabrics if you have an assortment of panels you can combine in a quilt.

If you have a lot of scraps, you cut squares and/or rectangles and sew them all together for a beautiful, interesting, combo of colors quilt.

I like to find panels in the remnant bins and cut them up and incorporate them into quilts but if you aren't a "panel gal", then imagine fabric in place of the panels in the examples below.

Hope this helps.
    I never thought to cut the panels up/Those are great.

I have a lot of fabric and I am not very good at co ordinating them. I hate to cut them up and not have the quilt look right.

Also I have some charm packs and honeybuns and jelly rolls but only one of each.Now that I have the AccuQuilt Go I don't purchase them anymore. Sometimes it is a delima LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Lynne
    I was looking at the quilts that you have in the picture and would love to know where you got the dinosaur fabric from? My Granddaughter LOVES dinosaurs and I would love to make her a quilt with dinosaurs all over it..
    That is a flannel fabric. I frequently buy end of bolts from my LQS and I purchased that one many moons ago. I didn't want to cut it up so decided to use it like a panel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast