Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
That fabric release spray ---- >

That fabric release spray ----

That fabric release spray ----

Old 08-18-2014, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
you mean the Best Press?
No, she's talking about a different product. There are a few brands on the market; Downy and Faultless make two. You can google "wrinkle releaser".

Originally Posted by RosaSharon View Post
Does the fabric release work a lot better than plain water spray for ironing?
In my opinion, no. I had 2 t-shirts that sat in the dryer overnight. Decided to do a test. I hung them both on hangers, sprayed one with plain water, the other with the wrinkle release product. (Can't remember the name, I borrowed it from my neighbor.) When dry, they looked the same - both released most of the wrinkles.

Last edited by Peckish; 08-18-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:22 AM
dd

I've been buying mine at Family Dollar for about $2 but I always thought there should be a way to make it. I thought it was diluted fabric softener. Thanks for the recipe.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:15 AM

I don't like the smell that comes off of that wrinkle release stuff when I hit it with the iron so I don't use it with the iron anymore. It works good for getting wrinkles out of my work polo shirts; I just put it on a hanger, spritz, stretch, and done, so it's not going to waste.

For super stubborn wrinkles in cotton fabric, I soak it in water (not just get it wet, but submerge it for a good 5 minutes) and then toss it in the dryer until barely damp, and then press it. I think some stubborn wrinkles really need the fibers to absorb a lot of moisture and puff back up before it's going to be able to be ironed away.

Minor leftover wrinkles I usually don't worry about though. As long as it won't interfere with cutting or sewing the fabric, I just assume it'll come out (or be hidden) when I wash the completed quilt. So far that's worked out fine for me.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:24 AM

I buy Best Press by the gallon, actually two gallons at a time from JoAnn's online. I wait until it goes on 1/2 price sale (about 35.00/gallon) AND JoAnn's is having their free shipping over a certain amount ordered. They do both a lot. The Fresh Linen Best Press is one of my very favorite quilting/sewing items.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

Many of my friends love Best Press but it is too expensive for my budget. I can get any wrinkles out with using light body "Magic Sizing". As it says on the bright blue can, it does give light body without stiffness. Never had any type of flaking as I have with others spray starch. I can only get it at a Super Walmart store so I always buy all I can get off the shelves.