Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric squares >

Fabric squares

Fabric squares

Old 05-04-2015, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Here is a link to Bonnie Hunter's Scrap User System. She explains why she cuts her scraps into certain sizes.

http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml

Interesting - thanks for the link!

I totally got distracted by these squares. There I was, smack in the middle of a digital scrapbooking learning curve and whoosh! FABRIC! QUILTING!

It turns out these are 3-1/2, 2-1/2 and 1-1/2 inch squares, with the same fabrics found throughout, which makes it easier to mix and match up blocks (should I ever be so inclined). Just for the fun of it - because I'm more willing to be adventurous/wild/crazy with gifted fabric - I just started sewing up squares using a 2-1/2" block in the center, bordered by 12 of the 1-1/2" squares, with the only fabric pattern consideration being contrasts in print and light/dark. I am going to attempt sashing by sewing together squares of the same fabric, but I'm not sure I have enough of any one print or solid to do it for anything large. So for now, it's one of those things that you lay across the foot of the bed (the proper name always escapes me so feel free to fill in my blank!).

I also started an HST project that might be done for my daughter's birthday. I found a block pattern called Annie's Choice, made entirely of HSTs, and it just happens her name is Annie. Another foot-of-the-bed thingie - might be able to finish by her birthday later this month. I am matching up prints/colors for that one - reds and whites, which will look nice with her mostly black bedding.

I appreciate all the input! I was kind of flummoxed by the size and sheer volume of these squares and thanks to y'all, the projects are already taking shape!

If it's still ugly, you just didn't cut it small enough!
OMG - ain't that the truth! One of my considerations for sashing was another length of fabric I was gifted (from someone else). I decided I don't like it enough to see that much of it all at once on the front of a quilt, but it looks a lot like the backing on some the quilted pillow covers I got at a yard sale.

Oddly, my "grab a square and sew it to another square" project looks a lot like her ugly quilt block closeup. Hmmm.

Last edited by JulieW8; 05-04-2015 at 01:26 PM.