Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Storage Opinions >

Fabric Storage Opinions

Fabric Storage Opinions

Old 04-04-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by connie_1936
you can buy shelving at home depot that is already painted. works great. they'll cut it to size for you
Painted? Are you sure? I think you are talking about the laminates. :-D
Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by amyjo
WHOA!!! first words out of my mouth. Looks like a store. I guess if mine was all out in the open and folded like that I would have one too. Can't wit til DD from WY comes home to help me this spring sometime. Pretty fabrics.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Banned

do wood if money is an issue. BUT you have to completely seal it, to avoid the oils/acids from leaching onto the fabric.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Joanie2
Originally Posted by SuziC
My Dh is redoing a closet in a spare bedroom for me to store all my sewing things. My question is: I can design it any way i choose but am unsure what kind of shelving to put in. Would you use the white wire shelves or wood? Or maybe both? I need to keep the cost at a minimum but i want to do it right the first time. Any advise would be appreciated greatly!!
My son helped turn my walk-in closet into a fabulous storage space. The shelves came from IKEA and they work fabulously for me. Hope my photos help you to decide.
I would PREFER this myself!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 PM

Cedar, Can damage some fabric. When I was about---,I put an internation doll, in my cchest. Moved 20 yrs later.long storie. the doll's dress was disclored. My Dad,gave it to me At 10yrs Only glassware get put in now Tinker
Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 PM

Don't understand why the problem with wire shelving - I love mine! However, my fabric is all folded uniformly and I do have containers for my fat quarters so don't have a problem with things falling through. Also air can circulate better with wire shelving.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I personally don't care for the wire shelves. My husband insisted on them for the laundry room & garage. Guess what? Things fall thru them, things don't set squarely unless you set them on the wires just right. It is a constant balancing act. I can't wait until mine wear out & I can replace them with wood shelves.
I concur! I would not use the wire shelves. Definitely wood. Good luck!

Another vote here for no wire shelving...can't stand them. All my closets have wood shelving that are painted white...love that creamy white in all of my closets. My husband made rows top to bottom at different levels of shelving for me in my closet in my quilting room and I love them. I don't have the same concerns about wood that some do on this board. I will say that the majority of my fabrics are in antique lawyer's bookcases with glass doors which are solid wood and not painted and have had no problems. In my closet are all the numerous other quilting items, and other necessities for other type projects. As usual like everything else we all have our preferences for what we like or dislike for various reasons.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:17 AM

I just had my dh put some more of the white wire shelving in the spare room closet for me to put my fabric on. This is working wonderful. Fabric is not falling through the wire. In fact, at one end I have my bolts standing straight up and they haven't fallen through either. I left about a 2 ft. area of hanging space so if I wanted to hang quilts that I'm working on or waiting to be worked on :oops: have a place to be. This is much easier to see what I have over looking through bins and bins and bins, I can now see what I have at a glance.

My fabric is happy! :-D
Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 AM

Joanie, once again IKEA comes to the rescue! My quilt room is lined with their 'Billy' bookcases which offer doors you can add on or not if you choose to leave the shelving open. And the floor to ceiling height is a blessing to store everything. At about $60 each, they couldn't be more affordable. (sorry, I sound like an IKEA advertisement, but I LOVE that store!! Even their fabrics are amazing!!
Originally Posted by Joanie2
Originally Posted by SuziC
My Dh is redoing a closet in a spare bedroom for me to store all my sewing things. My question is: I can design it any way i choose but am unsure what kind of shelving to put in. Would you use the white wire shelves or wood? Or maybe both? I need to keep the cost at a minimum but i want to do it right the first time. Any advise would be appreciated greatly!!
My son helped turn my walk-in closet into a fabulous storage space. The shelves came from IKEA and they work fabulously for me. Hope my photos help you to decide.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:29 AM

I use a closet that my husband 'retro fit' for me. I have a shelving unit that has adjustable 'wood' shelves. I don't like the wire shelves - small stuff falls thru. Also consider the depth of the shelves - if they're too deep everything gets pushed to the back. I was storing my fabric in clear boxes, I've switched to comic book boards - much easier to see the fabric. Have fun getting it together.