Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Stores in Springfield IL? >

Fabric Stores in Springfield IL?

Fabric Stores in Springfield IL?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:11 AM

Hi all,
I'll be visiting Springfield IL this weekend and will have about 3 hours of time to visit fabric shops.

Any recommendations?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:56 PM

trugger:
I haven't been to the shops in Springfield for some time. The shop I love is Piece and Applique located in Rochester, which is about 5 miles SE of Springfield. Takes very little time to get over there, and well worth the time. Beautiful shop!!
Nita
Old 03-02-2009, 02:04 PM

Thank you, Nita!
I sure will check them out.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:45 PM
MCH

There are no LQS in Springfield. The owner of the latest one ran it into the ground.

Your only options are WalMart and Hobby Lobby. WalMart is on Veterans' Parkway on the far west side of Springfield (from I-55 northbound, take the I-72 exit westbound toward Jacksonville. Continue about 3.5 - 4 miles until you see the exit for Rt. 4 / Veterans' Parkway. Exit right. Note there is a "no turn on red" sign at the stop light. Turn right. I believe WM is on the left.

Hobby Lobby is on Wabash Ave. (intersects w/ Veterans' Pkwy). Turn right on to Wabash. I don't remember how far east you drive on Wabash, but if you're going eastbound it's in a shopping center on your left.

Your time may well be better spend visiting the Illinois State Museum downtown. They have a world-class textile division (which, I think, includes quilts). Or, check out the Dana Thomas house (not far from downtown). It was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright...and is known around the world.

I've had family living in Springfield for 40+ years and I was there in mid-February for several days.

My brother lives in St. Louis -- which has much more to offer than Springfield. Had a Ted Drew's on Sunday, Feb. 15. Yummy! Clayton and University City are primo! The Galleria isn't too shabby nor is Frontenac. Actually, I just enjoy driving around St. Louis...esp. Forest Park! :D

We were in St. Louis in November for a wedding and nearly went bizonkers with the confusion and chaos surrounding the closing of the I-170 / 40 (?) interchange. I thought CALTRANS (California) was sadistic...they've got NOTHING on MDOT!

Springfield doesn't have much of anything unisque to offer, quite frankly. Same stores. Same look to the malls. Pot-holes and lousy drivers and the "aroma" of the politics of government. I assume you've heard of the chaos around Gov. Bag O'Wind and the consequences (ongoing) of his arrogance and mis-placed self-importance.

Enjoy the drive on I-55.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:52 PM

Thank you for the heads up on the lack of quilt shops in Springfield.
I have to admit, I'm surprised that it's Walmart and HobbyLobby.

I live in the Illinois side of St. Louis, so I know exactly the pain of the MODOT system. (and don't get me started on the governor(s)... they're all in jail!)

The newsreports before the open-heart-surgery on I40/64 were something to this effect: "Construction is going to take about 3 years. We're going to close down big sections of the highway and commuters will have to find an alternate route."

It is insane!

Fortunately, I'm able to use the mass transit to get to work... and my work pays for it. I couldn't be more pampered.

I guess I'll figure out something else to do with my free time in Springfield.... I'll be there on a Sunday afternoon - so hopefully the museum you mentioned is open.

Thank you again for the info - it's much appreciated!