Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: fabric with strings

  1. #1
    Super Member Celeste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    N. Ca
    Posts
    4,473
    Blog Entries
    31
    Even after cutting I noticed strings forming on the ends. I sewed it up anyway, and now I'm worried about when it gets washed. Should I put fray check? Will that work?

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Super Member clem55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Posts
    6,155
    Blog Entries
    6
    Sounds like maybe you were using a cotton/poly blend, it seems to ravel a little more than cotton. I have used it before, and with the narrow seams , I did have a couple pull out from the seam. Fray check would probably keep that from happerning, but if you are doing a bed size, it would take a long time to do every seam. My suggestion would be to make sure it is washed on a gentle cycle. Hope this helps a little. Carol

  3. #3
    Super Member Celeste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    N. Ca
    Posts
    4,473
    Blog Entries
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    Sounds like maybe you were using a cotton/poly blend, it seems to ravel a little more than cotton. I have used it before, and with the narrow seams , I did have a couple pull out from the seam. Fray check would probably keep that from happerning, but if you are doing a bed size, it would take a long time to do every seam. My suggestion would be to make sure it is washed on a gentle cycle. Hope this helps a little. Carol
    It's supposed to be 100% cotton. . . fortunately, it is 60x60 so it won't take as long as bed size. Thank you for your advice Carol.

  4. #4
    Super Member tjradj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,322
    Blog Entries
    1
    When I have a fabric that frays a lot, I double stitch the seams - just going over them a second time really reinforces the seam.

  5. #5
    everybody's mother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staples, Mn
    Posts
    179
    Blog Entries
    2
    Would it be possible to topstitch your seams? I've done that and it helps, but it depends on your pattern. Good luck, it really hurts when your hard work falls apart. Been there, done that.








    Quote Originally Posted by Celeste
    Even after cutting I noticed strings forming on the ends. I sewed it up anyway, and now I'm worried about when it gets washed. Should I put fray check? Will that work?

    Thanks for your help.
    :|

  6. #6
    Super Member Celeste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    N. Ca
    Posts
    4,473
    Blog Entries
    31
    Thanks tjradj and everybody's mother, I'll check and see if that idea's not too daunting.

  7. #7
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,771
    Generally if you use a full quarter inch seam and quilt it well it doesn't fray any when you wash it.

  8. #8
    Super Member Celeste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    N. Ca
    Posts
    4,473
    Blog Entries
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Generally if you use a full quarter inch seam and quilt it well it doesn't fray any when you wash it.
    Quilt it well? Dang, I wanted to outline stitch. :hunf:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.