Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: fabric with strings

Blog Entries
    Even after cutting I noticed strings forming on the ends. I sewed it up anyway, and now I'm worried about when it gets washed. Should I put fray check? Will that work?

Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like maybe you were using a cotton/poly blend, it seems to ravel a little more than cotton. I have used it before, and with the narrow seams , I did have a couple pull out from the seam. Fray check would probably keep that from happerning, but if you are doing a bed size, it would take a long time to do every seam. My suggestion would be to make sure it is washed on a gentle cycle. Hope this helps a little. Carol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    Sounds like maybe you were using a cotton/poly blend, it seems to ravel a little more than cotton. I have used it before, and with the narrow seams , I did have a couple pull out from the seam. Fray check would probably keep that from happerning, but if you are doing a bed size, it would take a long time to do every seam. My suggestion would be to make sure it is washed on a gentle cycle. Hope this helps a little. Carol
    It's supposed to be 100% cotton. . . fortunately, it is 60x60 so it won't take as long as bed size. Thank you for your advice Carol.

Blog Entries
    When I have a fabric that frays a lot, I double stitch the seams - just going over them a second time really reinforces the seam.

Blog Entries
    Would it be possible to topstitch your seams? I've done that and it helps, but it depends on your pattern. Good luck, it really hurts when your hard work falls apart. Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Celeste
    Even after cutting I noticed strings forming on the ends. I sewed it up anyway, and now I'm worried about when it gets washed. Should I put fray check? Will that work?

Thanks for your help.
    :|

Blog Entries
    Thanks tjradj and everybody's mother, I'll check and see if that idea's not too daunting.

Generally if you use a full quarter inch seam and quilt it well it doesn't fray any when you wash it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Generally if you use a full quarter inch seam and quilt it well it doesn't fray any when you wash it.
    Quilt it well? Dang, I wanted to outline stitch. :hunf: