Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric at wholesale price

Hi, I've been wondering whether it is possible to get new fabrics at wholesale price or slightly above. Do quilt stores sell whole bolts at much lower prices than by the yard because there is not much work involved for them? I know you can find good fabrics online for something like 4$ a yard, but they seem to be older lines. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Banned

Many local stores will sell wholesale only if you are in business for yourself. Because bolt yardage differs from bolt to bolt even if the fabric is identical, shops 'unbolt' and measure what you actually get. There is actually more work involved for them to do that since it takes more time and space. And around here, none of them will let you have the cardboard bolt...ever.

Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    That seems like a great source! Thanks for that link!

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Many local stores will sell wholesale only if you are in business for yourself. Because bolt yardage differs from bolt to bolt even if the fabric is identical, shops 'unbolt' and measure what you actually get. There is actually more work involved for them to do that since it takes more time and space. And around here, none of them will let you have the cardboard bolt...ever.
    Who would have thought, I assumed the exact yardage would be put on the bolt by the manufacturer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie1001
    I don't know where you live but if possible go to their warehouse in Batesville, Ar...you'll never shop anywhere else again. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by newbie1001
    I don't know where you live but if possible go to their warehouse in Batesville, Ar...you'll never shop anywhere else again. ;)
    I live in Western PA, Pittsburgh area, and don't know of anything like this here. Lucky you!

Banned
    Its worth the trip! :lol: :lol:

fabric stores charge full price for a bolt. i was thinking if i got a business license i could go to a manufacture and buy like the quilt shops do but i don't know where the manufactures are. maybe we can exchange ideas.

mema

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by memathomas
    fabric stores charge full price for a bolt. i was thinking if i got a business license i could go to a manufacture and buy like the quilt shops do but i don't know where the manufactures are. maybe we can exchange ideas.

mema
    You can buy partial bolts at Marshalls Dry Goods on the wholesale side and you do not need a tax number or license. Last time I went I paid 1.55 per yard. :thumbup:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast