Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A fabric you absolutely love. >

A fabric you absolutely love.

A fabric you absolutely love.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:39 AM

I have found several "must haves" over the years. Just this week I received a new "must have" in the mail. I ordered 3 yds, but usually just get 2 yds. My problem then is that I am relunctant to use them...don't want to waste them on just anything. LOL
Old 04-02-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM
I have found several "must haves" over the years. Just this week I received a new "must have" in the mail. I ordered 3 yds, but usually just get 2 yds. My problem then is that I am relunctant to use them...don't want to waste them on just anything. LOL
Oh, Janet, I know that feeling well. "Too beautiful to use so I'll save that for something special." I used to laugh when an older quilter friend said she wanted to be buried with some of her stash and now...it seems like a better idea all the time! LOL Will any pattern be good enough?

The only thing I've learned about this problem so far is that fantastically beautiful material (and beauty is in the eye of the beholder) with a fascinating print needs to "go big" i.e., can't be cut up into little squares. Other fabrics with smaller patterns can't be cut either since I'll need them to surround the beautiful big blocks when I've found the perfect pattern.

See how it works? One way or another I think I can protect some portion of my stash "as is" for at least another 50 years.

It's really nice to be a grown up and a maker of the rules, isn't it!

Jois
Old 04-02-2010, 10:44 AM

I have a bunch of pieces that as I bought them I knew it was just to have them not use them. I still pull them out just to admire them.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:59 AM

Oh yes, several. Some I have used, some I am saving. After all , can't we be collectors too? I tell people when they ask about my stash that stamp collectors do not use the stamps and coin collectors do not spend their coins, I do not have to use my fabric, I can just fondle and pet it if I want to, Right? Ruth
Old 04-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Well I suppose that when I find one that fits into a quilt top perfecly I love it!! LOL! But, I love collecting differnet styles and colorways of fabric. It is a great artistic outlet.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by foxxigrani
yes I have, I love batiks and would buy nothing but batiks if I could. I do not like the ones with designs, butterflies, leaves etc, I like the mottled no thats not true, I love the mottled. As for what I buy, usually all I can afford. But I never find enough of the ones I like, thank goodness so no danger there. lol

BATIKS, BATIKS BATIKS

Rita
I think you and I were cut from the same cloth. tee hee I don't normally like the batiks with the gold on them, but I ended up wtih about 4 yards of one once and I just use the back side... no one will ever know. tee hee
Old 04-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Every now and then I see a book like Pamela Mostek. Just Can't Cut It and I inspect the front and back on Amazon or some other book seller but I still haven't bought one. It is supposed to have patterns that keep swaths and swaths of the fabrics you love. They'd be "on show" so to speak and maybe you wouldn't feel so bad about using them.

I haven't bought the book so far.

Jois
Old 04-02-2010, 06:58 PM

I have several fabrics that I absolutely love and just had to have, regardless of the price. Also, I have seen a line of fabric in an older magazine that I fell in love with and have looked everywhere for it and can't find it, but if I could, I'd have to buy it. So far, most of my "dream" fabrics I haven't used in a quilt, but I do have them bundled with other fabrics in preparation for making a quilt. I guess I'm waiting for the dream pattern to use with them!!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 PM

I have found my 'favorite' fabric many times. I liked one fabric so much I bought 4 yds. twice because I forgot that I had bought it the first time.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:35 PM

My favorite thing for decorating is english ivy and I searched for what seemed like forever before I found fabric like that. About a month ago (or so) I finally found some but have yet to find the pattern to use it with. I'm thinking that I need to go back and get either the rest of the bolt or whatever I can...I love the ivy fabrics. :D