Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallowing directions?

I wait until I don't know what to do next, then I have to find where I am in the instructions and read that part.

saf
    Flat pack furniture was obviously made just for us! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I buy a book or pattern, it's because I want to learn how to do something. If I can figure it out on my own, why buy the pattern? So yes, I read it, every word, and if there's a new technique that I haven't tried, then I try it, at least for that item. How can you learn new things otherwise? Often the designer has tried various methods for making something and has settled on what works best. I want to profit from her research, and her mistakes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pjemark
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. I tend to just follow the picture. I'm fairly new-so I also tend to pick out the simpler quilts.
    you mean I am not the only one? I get so lost trying to follow a pattern, usually end up feeling stupid....lol

if i am trying a new block i have never made before i do a practice block according to the instructions- and see how it comes out- if i like it and it seems to make sense- i make more that way- if it does not go together well- or i know an easier way i may change my technique for the next one....but if i have instructions i use them- at least the first time. i hate wasting fabric so i do not tend to experiment until i see how it goes together-as prescribed.

Blog Entries
    After reading many, many posts on this board and watching countless videos, I am just now learning the wisdom of following directions. I am a "just do it" sort of gal and really have a hard time with directions and precision. But, I'm ready to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    if i am trying a new block i have never made before i do a practice block according to the instructions- and see how it comes out- if i like it and it seems to make sense- i make more that way- if it does not go together well- or i know an easier way i may change my technique for the next one....but if i have instructions i use them- at least the first time. i hate wasting fabric so i do not tend to experiment until i see how it goes together-as prescribed.
    I don't like to waste fabric either ... So what I do when testing a block or pattern, is I keep a few fabrics just for that. I keep the test runs and my plan is that someday they will all go together as a collage of sorts. Or I can raid them as the starting point for making mug rugs, totes/bags, or whatever!!

This way I feel as though the test ones have a reason and a purpose ... and I haven't cut into the fabric planned for a project. Or sometimes ... I just want to try a block or two, just to see what it's like!

Blog Entries
    It depends on my mood at the time on how much I read and follow...
    Some days I am just more adventurous :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    If all else fails...read the directions!
    My father had a small sticker with this saying tacked to the bathroom mirror while I was growing up!

Wow, I didn't know they made instructions.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast