Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Family memory quilt >

Family memory quilt

Family memory quilt

Old 09-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned

I just came from DH's family reunion. We had a great time, met relatives we never knew and now we are planning to be in charge of the next one in 3 years!

I've also had it suggested for me to make a family memory quilt using photos taken at this reunion.

I have ideas for the design already. But do have a question...
Who gets to keep the quilt once it is done and shown at the reunion?

Also any tips, suggestions and ideas are welcome. I have some ideas, but always open for more!

Thanks

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Old 09-04-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
I just came from DH's family reunion. We had a great time, met relatives we never knew and now we are planning to be in charge of the next one in 3 years!

I've also had it suggested for me to make a family memory quilt using photos taken at this reunion.

I have ideas for the design already. But do have a question...
Who gets to keep the quilt once it is done and shown at the reunion?

I did a photo quilt for my HS 50th reunion, people even signed the back. I bro ught it back home on the train from PA to FL and when they had the 55th I sent it to my girl friend I grew up with to take it to the reunion and let everyone enjoy and write more on the back and send back to me. I have a note on the back when something happens to me it will go on to her to keep up with and etc. I would suggest you get it back each time you take or send to reunion. I made a large pocket on the back and listed the whole class names in there and dated those pages. Put a note of someone who would follow thru including your next of kin so they would know your bequests. And enjoy following your family, PS I am also a genealogist. Marge

Also any tips, suggestions and ideas are welcome. I have some ideas, but always open for more!

Thanks

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Attached Thumbnails attachment-251598.jpe  

HMMM. good question. How about the oldest relative first and then it gets handed down....??? just a thought...

Ummm...that's a tough one! The matriarch of the family, I think.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:59 PM

If you pay for it and do all the work, you should get to keep it. If there are funds to cover all of your costs and you wanted to donate your time- maybe have a family raffle.
Or if reunions become regular whoever is in charge of next one might keep it till that time. Or is there an oldest family member who would love it-(warning it might disappear if eldest has it and passes away or becomes ill.)
I am going to watch this post and see what ideas people come up with. I am sure there are better ones than what I am thinking up right now.

Kat
Old 09-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GreatStarter
If you pay for it and do all the work, you should get to keep it. If there are funds to cover all of your costs and you wanted to donate your time- maybe have a family raffle.
Or if reunions become regular whoever is in charge of next one might keep it till that time. Or is there an oldest family member who would love it-(warning it might disappear if eldest has it and passes away or becomes ill.)
I am going to watch this post and see what ideas people come up with. I am sure there are better ones than what I am thinking up right now.

Kat
I agree Kat - I've been to reunions that someone made a photo album from the prior one & just passed it around to view (then took it home w/them). If no one ask you to make one, it is YOUR quilt to share at the next reunion (& for your heirs)

If you want to donate it for a raffle, then it is a "gift" from you. (you determine what is done w/the funds - to repay for your materials - to go for a charity - to be used for the next reunion)
Old 09-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Power Poster

My family has a auction and the money raised goes into next years fund.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:07 AM

I suggest the maker is the caretaker.The maker knows it's worth and how to take care of it. I suggest a way to add extra pics or members to the quilt, as there will be additions and it would not be necessary to make a new one every year.You could either add in a quilt as you go or add panels to the bottom if it were used as a wall hanging.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:43 AM

As a genealogist, this thread is of interest to me. I am the family historian for our reunion, which occurs annually in June. I would love to create a family tree quilt in some way... someday! lol. I would most likely keep the quilt. Currently I keep the family tree on the computer and the printout covers about 6 picnic tables lined up lengthwise. I also have a photo collage of my gr-grandmother surrounded by old pics of her children and some of her grandchildren - all from my mother's collection of pictures. I take several other pictures for display and another family member photographs everyone at each reunion and keeps photo albums of those pictures.

Good luck deciding what you want to do. I would just recommend that you keep the quilt in the hands of one who will appreciate it -- even if that's you. :-)
Old 09-05-2011, 04:18 AM

My mother-in-law did this and then offered raffle tickets at the family reunion.