Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Family Tree Quilt >

Family Tree Quilt

Family Tree Quilt

Old 01-03-2011, 10:45 AM

I'm looking to borrow some creativity from this board. I was asked to make a quilt for my DH's family reunion in 6 months. They asked for a family tree quilt. This tree would include nearly 80 names, so I want to keep the quilt fairly simple. I've done some web searches and gotten lots of ideas. Just wondering if anyone out there has done a similiar project? Or have any tips/suggestions or ideas?
Thanks,
Dawn Francis
Baton Rouge, LA
Old 01-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

Applique a tree/branches and then write the names onto the leaves and stitch them down? :D:D:D
Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 AM

I was talking about this type of quilt at my guild meeting on Saturday. I had suggested appliquing a large Christmas tree on a background fabric and then putting peoples names on the ornaments. How much information you want to put will determine how large the ornaments will be.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:44 PM

If you would rather do piecing what about an enlarged tree of life quilt. Large pieces with names on one side of the hst and maybe pics on the other side.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:20 PM

The simplest idea I've seen was to just put people's names and dates of birth/death on individual squares and that was the quilt.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 PM

I've done other " family tree" projects.
My favorite was a large tree with branches showing. small bunches of leaves here and there and apples with each persons name/date emb on the apple. For mroe a family tree outline look, I have labeled each " branch" with a family name.. and then hung the apple with the individual names under their branch.

clear as mud?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:43 PM

Try this. http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.co...ltPatterns.htm
Originally Posted by dawnfrancis
I'm looking to borrow some creativity from this board. I was asked to make a quilt for my DH's family reunion in 6 months. They asked for a family tree quilt. This tree would include nearly 80 names, so I want to keep the quilt fairly simple. I've done some web searches and gotten lots of ideas. Just wondering if anyone out there has done a similiar project? Or have any tips/suggestions or ideas?
Thanks,
Dawn Francis
Baton Rouge, LA
Old 01-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I've done other " family tree" projects.
My favorite was a large tree with branches showing. small bunches of leaves here and there and apples with each persons name/date emb on the apple. For mroe a family tree outline look, I have labeled each " branch" with a family name.. and then hung the apple with the individual names under their branch.

clear as mud?
This is a really good idea...but instead of the names being on the apple...use the 'clusters' of leaves and have a leaf for every individual in the family then branch out form those leaves for the next generation of family. The apples could also be used as markers for where the names change and branch out
I would simply use a black fabric marker for the names...But maybe embroider the tree branches with the Last name of that given part of the family.
Make the appliqued tree and leaves just beautiful!
Old 01-03-2011, 04:08 PM

For a family tree, this looks fairly easy to do. Construction is very straitforward.

http://www.threshpublications.com/fampics.html
Old 01-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

peek at one at www.winnowing.com