Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The "Fan" design Quilt frame on eBay--anyone actually use one? >

The "Fan" design Quilt frame on eBay--anyone actually use one?

The "Fan" design Quilt frame on eBay--anyone actually use one?

Old 04-05-2014, 08:17 AM

Default The "Fan" design Quilt frame on eBay--anyone actually use one?

Hi all, I found the fan design quilt frame on eBay for $119, and it looks pretty cool, but I have yet to find anyone who has actually used one.

My concerns: If you use the 1x2 boards to roll the quilt onto, do they sag? How cumbersome is it to adjust the quilt? (I'm guessing you don't have to move it *that* often...)

Also, are you just as well off to use the oval quilt frames on a pedestal vs a frame?

Kim
Old 04-05-2014, 08:21 AM

Hope someone has one of these and replies. Very interesting concept and yes, it looks pretty cool! Looks like it would be an easy DIY project.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Quilting on a frame is very different from quilting with a hoop. It seems to me the fan frame would be fine if you want to do frame quilting. Many people find frame quilting surprisingly difficult because most of us have a favorite direction for quilting -- e.g., right-to-left or towards oneself. If you need to quilt a circular pattern on a frame, you will need to be able to adjust the angle at which you are quilting because you cannot re-position the quilt (except to roll it). I do think you might run into sagging problems on large quilts if you use the 1x2 boards, but they would likely be fine for crib size and lap size hoops.

The oval quilt frames on a pedestal aren't ideal for quilting. I prefer a lap hoop. Mine sits on a small stand on my lap and the hoop portion swivels on a wooden ball. The closest I have found to it currently is the Grace lap hoop.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by mawluv View Post
Hope someone has one of these and replies. Very interesting concept and yes, it looks pretty cool! Looks like it would be an easy DIY project.
Just out of curiosity I looked at that listing. Further down the page of listings WAS a pattern for the frame for $10.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:44 AM

I have my Grandma's quilt frame, which is 4 1x2s sized for a double size quilt - as big as they had 100 years ago, which is about how old these are. I don't know what kind of wood they are, but they are just as straight today as when they were made. At that time cut trees were allowed to dry before being cut into boards. Today "green" trees are cut into boards then kiln dried (rather partially dried) so are often warped before they get to the lumber store. Smaller boards like 1x2s are then stood on end and warp even more. If you want to use 1x2s for any quilt frame I recommend going to the hardwood section and paying the higher price for oak, poplar, etc. They will be less likely to warp. Do not stretch the quilt too tightly and your frame should work very well.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 AM

My husband made me one of these "fan" frames by looking at the picture (he was a union carpenter by trade.)

I have used it several times. I haven't had any "sagging" problems. I tend to have mine in too tight and the 1 x 2 will "bow" slightly. I've used it to simply do straight line quilting and cross hatching. I like that it doesn't take up a lot of room depth-wise. The angle at which the quilt lies works well for me.

The last time I used this frame I used an office chair so that I could easily slide side to side as my quilting progressed. I also butted the frame up next to the buffet in the dining room so that I could put a desk lamp (with an extendable arm on it) on the buffet. Was able to move the lamp up & down the buffet for perfect lighting.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...me-t10266.html

This post is about the fan frame with pictures.