Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fan quilt block

Fan quilt block

Hi Everyone -

Can someone tell me how or where to go to get help with sewing fan blocks by machine? I am slogging along but it's hard to avoid tucks and I'm sure there are tricks to avoid the tucks?

Thanks,

Lainey

where are you getting the tucks? on the seam between wedges or somewhere else? are you making pointed wedges or round? are you appliqueing the fan to the background or trying to piece it into the background?
    Kate

I am sewing the fan part with the wedges just fine. I am getting tucks and problems when I go to sew the wedge fan piece onto the base, the circular corner base. Also having issues sewing the wedges onto the circular background piece.

Yes, I'm trying to do everything by machine and via piecing, no applique. I just don't know if I'm meant to be snipping the seam allowance or using freezer paper - or other?

Thanks,

Lainey

...the wedges are rounded, not pointed.

Are you stay stitching your base piece and clipping the curve??? If not try that it should help a lot.

Nope, I'm not.

What does it do to stay stitch the base piece? Or do you mean to stay stitch the piece with this six wedges?

So when you say clipping the curve, I should clip both seam allowances of the two pieces I'm sewing together?

Then pin a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by quilts4charity View Post
    Are you stay stitching your base piece and clipping the curve??? If not try that it should help a lot.