Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fast forward twenty years >

Fast forward twenty years

Fast forward twenty years

Old 07-18-2014, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Several of my daughters and sons are quilting. They have a more free style.

Originally Posted by deedum View Post
I can't but help but wonder where the quilt industry will be in 20 plus years. I am not sure how many young people even sew on a button these days. Am I missing something somewhere on this? Will the quilting industry be anywhere near what it is now? I
Old 07-19-2014, 04:12 AM

Well thanks for the post everyone! I feel much better about it all after reading all your comments. My dh & I had dinner with some friends last nite, my friend and I was discussing this. She said she never had any interest in quilting til she was in her fifties. I think that is so for many. I know the quilting/sewing world will keep changing as does everything else.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Several of my daughters and sons are quilting. They have a more free style.
More men are into quilting now than years ago. That is a big change in quilting. Glad to see it.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:36 PM

I have been sewing clothing since I was 14, I am 5' 10" & was taught by my Mother who was 6' so we had to make clothing for us that was long enough. I stopped sewing for quite some time & finally I am disabled & can't work so took up quilting I am a beginner but my grand daughter at the age of 5 hand sewed a pillow case for my husbands knee pillow, it's still holding together! She watched me with some cutting & sewing for a quilt & took it right up using my scraps. She picked through the scraps & came up with almost all the scraps from a lap quilt I made for my husband, she didn't realize they were mostly the same fabrics. I think she is going to pass me up with the quilting. She is now 13 and has made dog quilts for almost all 4 of my dogs. I have willed all my fabric & 4 sewing machines to her which she is tickled about but would rather be sewing along side her Gammy
Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 PM

I have done so many cross stitch pictures I have hanging, one special one was one I done while staying with my Mother at a Hotel in between chemo treatments for her. i t will always hang on my wall and remind me of her.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Look at scrapbooking for instance. Five years ago there were specialty shops, large areas of craft stores and "bees"...now (at least in my area of southern NH) you are hard pressed to find scrapbooking items.
I don't think quilting and scrapbooking are equal. I think other handcrafts would be a better comparison, like crocheting or knitting.

Scrapbooking (to me) as we saw it was/is a fad. Papercrafts (as in origami or things like twilling, etc.) aren't a fad, but that particular "mode" seems very dated. (People do more scrapbooks and photo albums, on line, I think, now).

I made scrapbooks when I was in college (in the mid 80's) but it was simply a collection of the things that were special--no extra design pieces, etc. I always put photos in a photo album and saved the scrapbook for the "things" like folders, play flyers, etc. I never really got "into " scrapbooking" in the 80's and 90's, though my daughter seemed fascinated by it, as it seemed to make making photos available a "project" instead of a 5 min. task of simply putting them into an album.

I wasn't part of the quilting phenomenon at its peak in the 70, 80s and 90s, so I don't know it any other way than it is now.

It is really an art form that results in something useful.

I think that by seeing that quilting as been around for literally centuries, we can believe that it's not really going anywhere...though most fabric buying may be on line or in specially large shops than in local ones.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:51 PM

Seeing so many of our members' grandchildren quilting with them is encouraging. There will be quilters and there will be quilts. Most of us didn't start quilting until later on in life. By the time we are in our 30's we are starting to look for a rewarding hobby or pasttime. Quilting will always be mine