Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fat Eighths... what do I do with them? >

Fat Eighths... what do I do with them?

Fat Eighths... what do I do with them?

Old 04-16-2015, 11:32 AM

You could join one of the next BOOM swaps. You send out F8s to swap for others to make a 12" finished block.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:37 AM

I recently bought a few f8s and have been thinking of what to do. Half square triangles are so versatile that I decided to make those.

A fat eighth would yield 2 - 9x9 squares (with some extra leftover). Match those squares to a solid or other coordinating square the same size to make Magic 8 (8 at a time) half square triangles. You'd have 16 @ 4 inch unfinished/3.5 finished from your f8 fabric matched to your contrast fabric.

Put your two squares right sides together. Draw an x from corner to corner. Sew a 1/4 inch on either side of the x. Cut on the drawn line and then carefully cut the square again in a + sign.

Google Magic 8 HST for a variety of tutorials showing how to make them. Seeing it in pictures or as a video makes much more sense than my description above.

The original squares start off a bit bigger than necessary - 9 inches rather than 8 7/8. I like to be able to trim if necessary. Of course you could also make smaller HSTs, I just listed the largest size you can make from a fat 8th.

I use the formula of doubling your desired FINISHED size and adding 2 inches. 3.5 x 2 = 7 + 2 = 9 inch squares to start. Or desired unfinished and adding 1 inch. Whichever is easier to recall.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:55 AM

I bought a fat eighth bundle once, and made a quilt with this free pattern. It requires supplemental yardage for the blocks and border. It hasn't been quilted yet, and I'm contemplating looking for an alternate border, as it ended up being an awful lot of that one fabric.

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/12/...ns-for-friday/
Old 04-17-2015, 03:00 AM

I bought a fat 8 bundle of bug fabric to make a canning jar quilt, I still haven't made them !
Old 04-17-2015, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

I made this quilt using fat eights. It was a fast and fun quilt to make. My sew groups made six finished tops in a day for donations quilts.

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...te+and+book.do
Old 04-17-2015, 05:24 AM

To me, that size is a scrap. I would toss them into the scrap bin!

(That's not a bad thing, by the way. Scrappy quilts are my favorite!)
Old 04-17-2015, 12:28 PM

Most any scrap quilt pattern would use them up. I'm making "Square Family Reunion", and that size would be just great. Each square can be made with different fabric. On the picture of it that I saw on here I could not find two squares that had the same fabric. Anything goes.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:26 PM

that's what i was thinking. most any scrap quilt.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:53 AM
Power Poster

I believe a fat eighth is 9" x 22"

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Not sure the size of a "fat eighth' but maybe a mug rug?
Old 04-19-2015, 06:15 AM

The last two quilts that I've been shopping for called for 12- 24 fat eights for each one. Since I don't have much "scrappy" stash yet, I really needed them, but found the right ones hard to find in the colors I needed. I ended up buying fat quarters for one of them, and just used the colors twice.
One pattern was paper pieced that comes out looking like a storm at sea, and the other is a dresden by Edtya Sitar and has applique, too. You could do organized scrappy on that one, but she did use her color line(Laundry basket).
https://www.laundrybasketquilts.com/...0&sort=nameAsc
There is the link for it, I discovered I actually have the class on Craftsy! It's" Dresden Bloom", the Dancing Umbrellas pattern is so cute I had to buy it, too!