Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fat quarter frustration >

fat quarter frustration

fat quarter frustration

Old 12-07-2014, 05:16 AM

I'm a pre-wash quilter. I even pre-wash FQs. I guess I have been lucky that I didn't have a problem with the FQs I used in Turning Twenty. The great thing about a pattern like Turning Twenty is you can throw in a few more pieces of other fabrics and no one will know. No one is going to count the fabrics and say "Oh...you used 21 prints, not 20! Bad, bad!"
Old 12-07-2014, 05:29 AM

I made a Turning Twenty also but had two darks and two lights in the mix, really helped the boredom.

I use Color Catchers all the time they are great! One time a quilt bleed because my DH spilled something on his quilt and washed it without one. Went thru dryer also. I returned it to the machine and rewashed with a couple Color Catchers and the dye was removed. Good as new!
Old 12-07-2014, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Yes, you are not suppose to wash any of the precut fabrics. Glad that you had some fabric in your stash to use instead.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:05 AM

A lot of times fat quarters are cut too small before prewashing. When that happens, just cut the larger pieces from the "fat quarter", then use scraps to cut the rest of the pieces. I have done that on two turning twenties. It adds variety to the quilt and gets rid of scraps.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 AM

The next time there is bleeding, try Synthrapol. It has worked for me everytime. I rarely prewash fabrics. When I make the lap quilts and pillowcases, they are washed first before gifting.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

I prewash because of future shrinkage and you never know how many people have handled them. Saw a woman once in a fabric store. She was sweating and used a fabric she didn't purchase to wipe her brow and the back of her neck. It was an edge of terry cloth on a bolt. I always pre wash and rarely buy less than a yard.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:35 AM

I don't purchase precuts unless they have been laser cut. Jelly rolls, particularly. Hoffman use to allow manual cutting and although they used machines,...I received rolls that were 2 1/4 wide rather than 2 1/2". And of course, did not discover until I had pieced numerous four patches...Ugh! Hoffman did make it right and replaced my fabric in addition to sending a beautiful 8 yd batik for the backing of the quilt! Now they only use laser cutting. Yeah! Love their fabrics.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:11 AM

This is a problem with a lot of the simpler fat quarter patterns. I do pre-wash, so I always check the cutting instructions beforehand; then I know if I will need bigger pieces, or have to bring in additional fabric. I saw a turning twenty on display in my LQS, done with modern fabrics, and it was stunning. They had the kit for a very reasonable price, and I'd have bought it if I'd had the money.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I pre-wash as well. Due to chemicals, etc. I tend to avoid pre-cuts myself. I do measure my fabrics, but usually avoid the patterns such as this.
But I have had great success with the Yellow Brick Road pattern.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:31 AM

I do not wash my fabric anymore. I do as the experts do: take a scrap and lay it on a white paper towel, then wet the fabric completely. If it bleeds, then I have a choice to either take it out or wash it. So far, only a few have bled for me. I have made a Turning Twenty Quilt and it is breathtaking, I can't remember which book it is: she has like 9 books out there. The first book/pattern I have not made and I agree, it's really simple. I have seen some that were quite pretty, I think it depends on your fabric choices.