Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fat Quarters and Charm Squares >

Fat Quarters and Charm Squares

Fat Quarters and Charm Squares

Old 01-11-2017, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
. I happen to have that book and am upset with myself because I forgot to bring it to Florida with me. I had that book and a fat quarter book set out to take and must have left them on my cutting table in Michigan! I have lots of floral charm squares! Would you post a picture of the Morning Star quilt you are working on?
Have you checked a local library for the book? Maybe they have it. If you are in a snowbird setting, maybe another bird has the book that you could borrow.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:36 AM

Janjanq, check out your library for quilting books. Ours has quite a selection. Also, there should be guilds over your way and you might find help there. Bradenton is a lovely area. We visited Longboat Key during Christmas break and visited one of the quilt shops. If there's one close, just go wander through and that may be enough to jog your creative juices. I do agree with Moda Bakeshop and Jenny Doan as idea places.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:38 AM

janjanq, don't know the size you want, but I have made the Sleepy Jean Quilt (twice) from the Moda Bake Shop. I made it with a flannel backing for my mom to use in her chair. I intend to make more as donation quilts for charity, as I can make it a good size for using in chairs or wheelchairs in nursing homes.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:43 AM

I'm in Bonita Springs Fl from Ontario for the winter too. Interested in "Morningstar" pattern since it is my last name.
About 2000. Martha Stewart sold a quilt with that pattern name. Sold out fast and I was promised one from my friend because I bought her the pillow shams but when she died her daughter never gave it to me. I still remember how much I liked the colors. Went on eBay but could never find a king size.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
. I happen to have that book and am upset with myself because I forgot to bring it to Florida with me. I had that book and a fat quarter book set out to take and must have left them on my cutting table in Michigan! I have lots of floral charm squares! Would you post a picture of the Morning Star quilt you are working on?
Chances are that the library has those books to check out too. I would at least go and see what they have. You can "order" one to your library to check out if it is in the system. I once checked out a quilt book from Illinois that way. Pretty cool!

I guess we all had the same idea at once. LOL! The library system is on line now to check the titles and order a book to your location to check out. They call you with an automated message about it to come get the book when it is in.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 01-11-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:10 PM

My favorites sources are the fat quarter books by M'liss Rae Hawley. They do require a "background" fabric in most of them, which is sometimes half the quilt.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Power Poster

I picked up a magazine recently that focused on FQs. It had a nice selection. It was from Fons and Porter
Old 01-12-2017, 04:51 AM

Go to YouTube and search for Confetti quilt by The Crafty Gemini. All you need is one charm pack and I think two yards of background. Makes a great quilt, so easy, good size, and she tells you step by step.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:58 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check them all out!
Old 01-12-2017, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
janjanq, don't know the size you want, but I have made the Sleepy Jean Quilt (twice) from the Moda Bake Shop. I made it with a flannel backing for my mom to use in her chair. I intend to make more as donation quilts for charity, as I can make it a good size for using in chairs or wheelchairs in nursing homes.
I just looked up the Sleepy Jean Quilt and that is now at the top of my charity list. One can make more units and join them together for a larger quilt, really like the thought of using more scraps than background fabric.
Thank you so much for the information.