Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Fat Quarters Question

When I returned to quilting years ago, I bought fat quarters. Unfortunately, whenever I used them I ran out of a fabric I needed. Now I rarely buy anything less than a yard -- preferably more.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Instead of buying fat quarters I have the store cut 1/3 yards off the bolt. It is 12 x 44 where a fourth of a yard would be 9 x 44, a shape that is very hard to work with as nothing can be larger that 9". I don't know of any online sources that will sell 1/3 yard for you, but fabric shops do it all the time. And often buying 1/3 yard off the bolt is cheaper than buying a fat quarter made from the same fabric.

Yes I have purchases some items from Missouri Quilt company. The templates came withing three days, in perfect condition and to my delight no extra promotional e-mail. I was please and have used the templates for several projects. I have not purchased fabric. Do love the tutorials!

Blog Entries
    I prefer to buy yardage. I think the precuts are much to expensive.
    When life gives you scraps, make a quilt.

I love scrappy quilts, and used to buy FQs. Eventually I decided to prewash all my fabrics. Many FQs were cut off grain, and with the shrinkage they really weren't as useful. Now I buy 1/2 yards on sale, and after washing and ironing I sometimes cut a 6 1/2" strip to set aside for ready use. Saves a lot of time since I don't do a lot of sewing and need instant gratification. I can't believe the prices on the precuts- even online! $40 + for 30 - 40 2 1/2" strips! $9 for 30 charm squares? The precuts have fewer pieces, and the prices increase. I've had some slight bleeding and shrinkage with brand fabrics, so I'll continue to prewash.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    they are only good for A-small projects, B-learning new blocks/techniques, and C-swap blocks where you need a good variety albeit small pieces!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6