Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fat quarters

fat quarters

Hello to all, I just bought some fat quarters to start my first quilt. Do I need to wash them before using? Do I need to be concerned about shrinkage? They are 100% cotton. Thanks!

Senior Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Well speaking for myself I have never washed the FQ I have used. But I know there are people who do but I think they either zig zag around the outside or use a serger to prevent to much unraveling (knots).
    ​Christine

You will get many answers...some prewash, some don't. I am one of the ones that doesn't prewash. I haven't ever had any problems with bleeding, so would rather not have to go through all the washing, drying, ironing, resizing the fabrics if I don't have to.

I use the bathroom sink and soak them with a bit of detergent....just enough to get rid of sizing chemicals....you will know very quickly if one of them is a bleeder and likely to cause problems.....the problem children get tossed into a pan of very hot water with retayne for about 20 minutes.....then all go to the dryer

Blog Entries
    i'm with the better safe than sorry crowd and prewash all my fabrics. i never buy the precuts, though, so don't know about washing those.
    Nancy in western NY

Thanks for your help!

Really appreciate your input..thanks!

Power Poster
    If you are able to wash anklets, thong underwear, a bikini swimsuit, and/or handkerchiefs, then it should be a fairly easy leap to washing something the size of a FQ!

I do overcast the raw edges before washing them, but they can be put in a lingerie bag before putting them in the washer - or just soaked in a sink.

I wash all my fabrics, including FQ's, in the washing machine, on a gentle cycle with woolwash as soon as I bring them home. I belong in the 'better safe than sorry' camp and would prefer not to have any nasty little surprises further down the track.
    Mary B

I have never pre-washed any quilting fabric. Never have had a problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast