Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • favorite cutting mat >
  • favorite cutting mat

• favorite cutting mat

Old 09-10-2016, 05:14 PM

I have the Olfa green one and have been very pleased with it. I have to use the plain side. I use rulers for my measuring and my ADD brain can't handle two sets of lines and numbers. When it seemed a little rough, I just washed it with a cloth and spray cleaner and it was smooth again. I have the gray Fiskars here and at church. I do not care for them. The same blade is much harder to use on either one of them than on the OLfa.
    Old 09-11-2016, 02:30 AM

[Saw one at a show not long ago, advertised as PVC & guaranteed for life, but of course, thought it was too expensive at the time & later read that nearly all mats are PVC but none that I saw were guaranteed. Thank you for your valued opinions, lots of excellent experience on this website.

Sandee in MO[/QUOTE]

i bought one of those mats at a quilt show about four years ago. The Big Mat, which has a warranty for five years, is still going strong, and I don't have to change the blades so often. If I had to, I would buy it again. www.sewingemporium.com. Worth every penny of it.
    Old 09-11-2016, 02:35 AM

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Martelli mat. It came with my table, but it can be bought separately. It will not warp in the heat. In fact, you can iron on it, and the lines are accurately spaced for measuring.
    Old 09-11-2016, 03:10 AM

I have both Olfa and Fiskars mats...because of the size, I use the Olfa more and have cleaned it several times over the past 4 years.
    Old 09-11-2016, 03:14 AM

I've been using the same Olfa mat for at least 5/6 years. Never had reason to buy another yet, and it's still just as good as the day I got it.
    Old 09-11-2016, 04:35 AM

My favorite is a Martelli cutting mat. I don't think it will ever warp. When I bought it at the Dallas Quilt show years ago (probably about 7 years ago - at least) the salesman literally rolled it up and jumped up and down on it and it just unrolled flat as could be. It is self healing and I do a lot of cutting on it. I've never had any problems with it at all. Of course it is always on top of my cutting table and not one of my traveling cutting boards, but for those I like the Fiskars.
    Old 09-11-2016, 04:54 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by patski
    Try soaking your mats in warm water with white vinegar (about 1/2 cup) then lay flat. You may not need to replace your mats. Learned this on Fons & Porter
    Have you tried this? I doesn't work. Water nor vinegar penetrates the mats so they really have no effect on them. This "tip" was all over Pinterest a while back, so I gave it a try. It was supposed to rejuvinate and 'heal' your mats. But like so much of what's on Pinterest, it was bunk.

Some of my friends bought the recycled PVC mats at the last quilt show we went to, because they were guaranteed for 10 years and weren't supposed to dull your blades as fast. I'm waiting on the verdict...
    Old 09-11-2016, 06:13 AM

Martelli! WOWZER! I have at least 8 mats and a couple of rotating ones as well. I have duplicates in my little fishing shack on the sound and back in the city as well. My latest purchase was the Martelli. I swear it seems to sharpen my rotary blade with every cut! The difference is amazing. I use the Martelli cutters and blades as well. They are all pricey but I got on their email and picked up on their sales. Great discount! This is the sweetest cutting I have ever done. Then my kids bought me the rotating Martelli for my birthday. I am in love with my kids! And my Martelli mats!
    Old 09-11-2016, 07:14 AM

Martelli all the way for me, too! Love the colors and they're a great quality mat.
    Old 09-11-2016, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    The last one I ordered was this pink/blue one. I like it because it's reversible but you have to be aware that the measurements are 23x35, not 24x36. It actually fits on my table better than the true 24x36. I can usually see my fabrics against the pink better than against the green on my other mats, and if not then I can turn it over and use the blue side. I figure it should last twice as long as non-reversible mats, which makes it a good buy. https://www.amazon.com/US-Art-Supply...t+self+healing
    I bought them same one you did and love it. Up until I bought it, all I had ever used was June Taylor from Walmart. What a difference a good mat made! Amazing.